A fully configurable time sheet system which allows for employee time tracking, workflows, time sheet approvals, invoicing and payroll processes.
The system is pretty straight forward to configure. It supports a basic workflow of employees submitting timesheets to their supervisor, who then approves or denies the time sheet. Once approved the time sheets go over to the accounts receivable queue (we call it the Invoicing Queue) so that the customer can be invoiced. From there if needed it goes to the payroll queue so that expenses can be paid back to the employee. There’s even a setting for making all invoices that someone submits go to the invoicing queue in case you have hourly employees that you need to handle.
When clients are entered into the system, there is security setup on the clients so that only employees who are working with those clients can see them in their drop down. This makes the drop down smaller for employees and keeps any third party contractors that are working for you from seeing your entire client list.
The system is configured to allow for retainer projects that get billed automatically and it drops in reminder time sheets to the invoicing queue so that those invoices are invoiced at the beginning of each month. Reminders are also sent to employees automatically if they have overdue time sheets or if they are working on retainers and they need to get their time sheets in at the end of the month.
- Can I add more workflows?
No, not at this time.
- Is the Payroll workflow mandatory?
No, if you don’t configure any expense types, and you don’t configure any employees to force their time sheets to payroll then the payroll queue will not be shown.
- Is the Invoicing workflow mandatory?
Depends how you look at things. If you enable the fixed rate option on the project then any time sheets for that project will bypass the invoicing queue and move on to the payroll queue as needed.
For project which aren’t set for fixed rate they will always go through the invoicing queue. If no one is configured to watch that queue then they’ll just pile up there, and if that’s OK, then you’re done.
- Is the Approval Queue mandatory?
Yes, there’s no way to get invoices into the invoicing queue without someone approving them.
- Why is there a fraction shown after the approval and invoicing queues?
The first number shown is the number of non-retainer time sheets which are pending. The second number is then number of time sheets on projects which are marked as retainer projects. The approval may have a third number up there. That is the number of time sheets which are under embargo. The payroll queue doesn’t have a different between retainer and non-retainer time sheets so there’s just a single number showing that queue.
- Is there a way to turn off all the retainer settings as we don’t need them?
Not at this time. If we get some requests to make that an option we’ll look into it.
- Can I change the headings on the expenses section?
No you can’t. If you would like this feature added contact us and we’ll add it to our backlog.
- When do retainer reminders get sent out?
They are sent out on the last day of the month.
- When do reminders for late time sheets get sent out?
They are sent out on Monday mornings.
- What is a work week defined as?
The system defines a work week as Monday through Sunday. The assumption is that invoices will be then sent to clients on Monday afternoons.
- How do employees start getting reminders about retainer time sheets being do?
As soon as they create a time sheet for a retainer project, they’ll start getting the reminders.
- How do employees stop getting reminders about retainer time sheets being do?
If they stop submitting time sheets for 60 days or more, then they will no longer receive the retainer reminders.
- If there’s multiple emails of the same time which need to be sent, will they be sent one at a time?
No, the emails are combined before they are sent out. This helps minimize the number of emails so the employees don’t get a flood of emails. If the same email subject is queued for an employee within 5 minutes the employee won’t get the email until another 5 minutes has passed.
- Can time sheets which have been sent to the invoicing queue be rejected?
Yes. If an employee has the approval queue and the invoicing queue then they will be able to reject time sheets from the invoicing queue.
- Can time sheets which have been sent to the payroll queue be rejected?
No, there’s no way to do this as the assumption is that the client has already been invoiced.
- How many clients does the system support?
As many as you need.
- How many employees does the system support?
As many users as WordPress supports in the system.
- Where are the settings located?
The settings are located under the Time Sheets parent menu. This includes the Global settings which are only available to people with the “manage_settings” WordPress settings (admins for example) as well as the “My Settings” page which is available for all users.
- Is there are specific system requirements?
No. We run this for our business on a database with a single CPU core and a web server with a single CPU core (two machines) and the performance is exactly as expected (your mileage may vary). If you see performance problems please let us know.
Awesome functionalities, with a bit of polish it can be great.
- Added clarity to the screens granting access to parts of the system.
- Fixed the crons so that weekly reminders go out on Monday instead of being based on the time that the plugin was last updated.
- Corrected minimum required version of WordPress to 4.7.0.
- Fixed issue with employees who need to always need to go to payrol queue, and the project was set to skip the invoicing queue didn’t make it into the payrol queue.
- Added Hold option to approver menu.
- Disable save new project button disabled after saving, to prevent duplicate projects from being saved.
- Better cleaning of single quotes in text fields to get rid of the escape chatacter that wordpress and PHP like to stick in there.
- Changed label on filter button for invoincing menu.
- Added submit buttons above the approval and invoicing lists when the list is long.
- Fixed sorting issues on various employee lists.
- Added Display Name to client permissions page and sorted by Display Name.
- Adding option to My Settings page for people who have access to the Invoicing queue to allow custom sorting of the output for easier invoicing based on user needs.
- Fixed problem with invoicing menu not saving changes.
- Changed label on filter button for invoincing menu.
- Removed un-needed/un-used functions from primary file.
- Remove clients with no active project from time sheet client list.
- Fixed label on submit button on approval queue.
- Added ability to set project as flat rate billing do time sheets bypass the invoicing queue.
- Updated FAQ
- Added ability to create a new time sheet from the “New” menu in the admin bar (who can see that menu).
- Resolved additional potential cross site scripting vunerabilities.
- Removed some un-needed code (the calls had already been moved to common, but the old functions were still sitting there).
- Added a setting to remove the embargo feature if it isn’t needed.
- Little cleanup in the client list code for the client management screens.
- Resovled issue with monthly cron job not updating retainer hours.
- Fixed possible cross site scripting in old timesheet list.
- Added feature to allow for hiding client and project dropdown if only one client and project are available.
- Included pollyfil.js and all needed files.
- Changed to internal jquery not external.
- Set the date picker for all date fields.
- Fixed formatting issue in settings
- Converted monthly notes to text box to minimize space being used by them while allowing for basically as much text as is desired.
- Clean up errors to make them more visible.
- Add data cleanup to date fields when searching and viewing client list.
- Fixed split time sheet from the approval menu.
- Added calendar popup to time sheet entry.
- Added warning when time sheet isn’t starting on a Monday.
- Allow admin to customize date format.
- Allow admin to allow users to specify their own date format.
- Changed client and project notes to text boxes to minimize space being used by them while allowing for basically as much text as is desired.
- Updated FAQ
- Fixed issue where time sheets weren’t saving or throwing an error message. They save now.
- Fixed Pier Diem days field converting to an integer. Now accepts decimals.
- Added option “Open Time Sheets” to header.
- Added ability to put new time sheet within a page using shortcut code timesheet_entry.
- Added ability to put new time sheet within a page using shortcut code timesheet_search.
- Increased security on the new and search time sheet pages due to the public short codes being available for use.
- Added setting to support the link redirection that needs to happen when using the timesheet_search shortcut code.
- Fixed menu for editing client not working correctly.
- Changed Edit Client Permissions to Edit Client and added the ability to change a client’s name.
- Max hours on retainer projects now adjust monthly based on the hours used plus the available hours per month so the project alerts are accurate for retainer projects.
- Max hours on retainer projects not editable anymore.
- Major code refactoring.
- Cleaning up display names and user names.
- Fixed bug in invoicing where if time sheets were given an invoice number, but not marked as processed they could loose their invoice number when working on other invoices.
- Added ability to turn off notes and expenses sections for teams.
- Added ability to add a backup approver for teams (perfect for approvers who take vacations, or have an assistant).
- Added screen to manage those who can add customers and projects.
- Added per diem city to time sheets.
- First release