This plugin will convert telephone numbers to callable links if the user is on
a smartphone. If the user is not on a smartphone you can either give them custom text/format or leave the telephone number in plain text. The text/link telephone number is then obfuscated to
reduce the risk of spambots intercepting your number.
It is also now possible to use the shortcode
The following options are avaiable:
- Add custom link text such as “Call Me!”
- Add custom text for non-smartphone user (eg. different format)
- Add a custom general CSS class to the output (eg class=”telephone number”)
- Add a class for mobile only devices (eg class=”mobile_device”)
- Add a class for no mobile devices (eg class=”non_mobile_devices”)
- Turn the link feature off so that just plain telephone numbers are displayed
- Turn the HTML_entities option on or off
- Turn noscript on or off
- Add a custom noscript message
This plugin is based upon and a re-write of the plugin at https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/email-obfuscate-shortcode/
- Why should I obfuscate telephone numbers?
Telephone numbers are as succeptable to spambots as emails are and it makes
perfect sense to obfuscate telephone numbers if you are obfuscating email
- Why create links on smartphones?
Modern Smartphones are capable of recognising tel: links that can take the
referenced telephone number and place a call to it, therefore saving you the
trouble of writing a telephone number down on one screen to switch to the
dialler and enter it in there.
There's a typo in the shortcode, should be (add the "u"): [link_obfuscate_telephone tel="???"] I don't understand how to use the additional features but this solved my problem of phone numbers not being clickable on mobile. In some places my theme overwrites the typical blue clickable mobile numbers with black. I am trying to use Mobile_css_class to force it back to blue but I can't figure out how to do it.
Works perfectly. Thanks for this plugin!
- Added mobile_css_class and non_mobile_css_class to the previous entry
- Added class property that wraps the output to allow styling of links or text
- Tested on WordPress version 3.7
- Added non_mobile_text attribute to display a custom message or a custom format to non smartphone users
- Much better debugging facilities
- Copied readme description over to php file
- Upgraded code to enable the use of a more verbose or less verbose shortcode
- Added example to short description so that it’s obvious how to use it from the plugin page on readme page
- Made clear in readme that it cannot be a multi-line code
- Plugin accepted to WordPress Plugin Directory so this is verion 1.0
- Upgraded to deccent folder structure and set to upgradable format
- Re-wrote readme file