This plugin enables you to organize tags (or categories, or custom terms) in groups. The group membership is saved in the native WP table field term_group, so it won’t create additional tables in the database. The plugin comes with a configurable tag cloud where tags are displayed in tabs sorted by the groups. It is possible to upload own themes (advanced usage).
Possible applications are:
- Display your tags grouped by language or by topic.
- Display your tags in any order, independently from their names or slugs.
- Choose which tags to display in different sections of your blog.
- Link from posts and pages to other ones that have the same tags.
Please find more information here.
- When I use the shortcode I can see the content but the tags are not displayed in tabs.
Make sure you have “Use jQuery” checked on the settings page. If you use a plugin for caching pages, purge the cache and see if that helps. If you use plugins for minifying scripts or style sheets, turn them off and purge their caches.
- How do I create multiple tag clouds on one page?
Use the shortcode as often as needed, but make sure that starting from the second shortcode you always use the parameter div_id with different values.
- I need the plugin for a very special purpose – can you help?
- I am desperately missing my language. But, wait.. is this actually a “frequently asked question”?
No, unfortunately it isn’t. But, nevertheless, I’m glad you asked! You are warmly invited to create a translation from the .pot file that is part of the package.
I was looking for something like you plugin for a long time, thanks! If you continue adding options for presentation of tag (with shortcodes), then it's gonna be 6 stars;)
Have a site I'm redesigning with oodles of tags which were sorted manually (hardcoded in their sidebar template). This plugin is exactly what I needed. It's now easy to manage tags by group in admin. And with a little CSS TLC, will look great on the front-end! So happy to have found this. Great work, Chris!
- export and import settings and groups
- deleting settings when uninstalling the plugin is now optional
- fixed wrong output when returning array with parameter tags_post_id if post has no tags
- fixed warning for custom template
- fixing wrong syntax for translating backend notifications
- new shortcode to display tags in an accordion (see settings)
- added option to display HTML in term description
- Quick menu appeared twice under certain circumstances
- fixed broken images
- updated to latest version of jQuery UI
- new parameter “active” to start tag cloud with all tabs collapsed
- problems with multilingual tags (WPML)
- possible conflict with sessions in other plugins or themes
- “Search Tags” was broken
- updated the .pot file for localizations
- sometimes wrong columns affected when creating custom columns
- settings moved to settings menu
- tag group filter on tag (term) page
- general code improvement, further hardening of security
- hardening security (escaping url before its use in menu)
- adding back lost option to bulk action menu to unassign
- added missing bulk action menu under the table (menu changes are synchronized)
- wrong group label in confirmation message after bulk change
- selecting group for bulk change automatically selects action “assign to”
- dropdown menu for bulk action didn’t respect correct order of groups
- wrong encoding of characters in the tag descriptions
- option to set the target attribute for links (link_target)
- option to hide the tag count in the tooltip when hovering your mouse over a tag (show_tag_count)
- option for different styling of tags according to whether they are assigned to the post or page (assigned_class)
- option to force displaying all groups (show_all_groups)
- parameter “order” not working correctly under certain conditions (multiple taxonomies)
- sorting by tag groups on tag/category page
- bulk assigning of terms
- localizations enabled
- Spanish translation (es_ES) by Andrew Kurtis – muchas gracias!
- tag group not saved on Edit Tag screen
- multiple taxonomies (please check settings after update)
- new parameter to select taxonomies for tag cloud
- function post_in_tag_group was wrong for other taxonomies than tags
- multiple shortcodes/clouds per page by using ‘div_id’ with own values
- general settings for ‘collapsible’ and ‘mouseover’ can be overridden per cloud
- new parameters to prepend and append text to tags
- added two parameters for shortcode and function to filter tags or groups depending on the tags of a particular post
- added parameter to optionally hide empty tabs
- updated uninstall routine
- fixed filter not showing up in some settings
- filter posts on the back end and show only posts that have tags belonging to particular tag groups
- diversified permissions: now editors can edit tag groups, while vital settings can only by changed by administrators
- improved instructions for installing own theme
- fixed deprecated file names – please check cloud tags if you use custom theme
- theme images lost during plugin evolution
- fixed css of jquery-ui
- svn missed files, new version is 0.8.2.2
- fixed warning for adding term that is not managed by this plugin
- new parameters for shortcode to display a separator
- fixed potential problem when flushing the cache
- fixed shortcode not working in widgets; can now be enabled in settings
- fixed wrong stripping of html in term descriptions (thanks to Ahni for reporting)
- uninstallation now removes plugin settings
- fixed typo
- supports now other taxonomies than post_tag
- user-friendlier settings page
- fixed wrong group displayed on quick edit
- fixed ‘foreach’ warning (thanks to IOTI for reporting)
- wrong code in instructions
- optional output as array for theme developers
- tags can now be sorted
- counting tags
- saving of menus
- improved inline editing in tag list (still problems with Opera browser)
- hardened security with ‘nonce’
- with WPML installed, inline editing of tag groups showed up at posts
- faulty default settings after plugin activation
- tabs on tag cloud: support for mousover and collapsible
- optionally not enqueuing jQuery for custom themes
- problem saving themes
- support for WPML string translation of tag group labels
- incomplete deletion of tag groups
- no display of unused tags
- wrong counting of tags
- obsolete JS
- Wrong label introduced in last version.
- Introduced an option to show a tag cloud without tabs – useful when displaying tags of just one group.
- Tag groups are now visible as new column in the tag list.
- Tag groups can now be assigned upon tag creation and changed directly in the tag list.
- Showing wrong tag group in single tag view.
- initial release