This plugin enables you to organize tags (or categories, or custom terms) in groups. The group membership is saved in the native WP table field term_group, so it won’t create additional tables in the database. The plugin comes with a configurable tag cloud where tags are displayed in tabs sorted by the groups. It is possible to upload own themes (advanced usage).
Possible applications are:
- Display your tags grouped by language or by topic.
- Display your tags in any order, independently from their names or slugs.
- Choose which tags to display in different sections of your blog.
- Link from posts and pages to other ones that have the same tags.
Please find more information here.
- Find the plugin in the list at the backend and click to install it. Or, upload the ZIP file through the admin backend. Or, upload the unzipped tag-groups folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
The plugin will create two new submenus: One in the Post section (depending on the chosen taxonomy) where you find the tag groups and another one under the Settings. After you have created some groups, you can edit your tags (or other terms) and assign them to one of these groups. A filter and a bulk action menu are available on the Tags page and you also find a filter on the Posts pages.
The tabbed tag cloud (or an accordion containing the tags) can be inserted with a shortcode. Options are listed on the Settings page.
Extensive information, examples and help for troubleshooting are listed here.
- When I use the shortcode I can see the content but the tags are not displayed in tabs.
Make sure you have “Use jQuery” checked on the settings page. If you use a plugin for caching pages, purge the cache and see if that helps. If you use plugins for minifying scripts or style sheets, turn them off and purge their caches.
- How do I create multiple tag clouds on one page?
Use the shortcode as often as needed, but make sure that starting from the second shortcode you always use the parameter div_id with different values.
- I need the plugin for a very special purpose – can you help?
- I am desperately missing my language. But, wait.. is this actually a “frequently asked question”?
No, unfortunately it isn’t. But, nevertheless, I’m glad you asked! You are warmly invited to create a translation from the .pot file that is part of the package.
I was looking for something like you plugin for a long time, thanks! If you continue adding options for presentation of tag (with shortcodes), then it’s gonna be 6 stars;)
Have a site I’m redesigning with oodles of tags which were sorted manually (hardcoded in their sidebar template). This plugin is exactly what I needed. It’s now easy to manage tags by group in admin. And with a little CSS TLC, will look great on the front-end! So happy to have found this. Great work, Chris!
Tags are essential for my website. Classifying and grouping them is just wonderful!
Contributors & Developers
“Tag Groups” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- export and import settings and groups
- deleting settings when uninstalling the plugin is now optional
- fixed wrong output when returning array with parameter tags_post_id if post has no tags
- fixed warning for custom template
- fixing wrong syntax for translating backend notifications
- new shortcode to display tags in an accordion (see settings)
- added option to display HTML in term description
- Quick menu appeared twice under certain circumstances
- fixed broken images
- updated to latest version of jQuery UI
- new parameter “active” to start tag cloud with all tabs collapsed
- problems with multilingual tags (WPML)
- possible conflict with sessions in other plugins or themes
- “Search Tags” was broken
- updated the .pot file for localizations
- sometimes wrong columns affected when creating custom columns
- settings moved to settings menu
- tag group filter on tag (term) page
- general code improvement, further hardening of security
- hardening security (escaping url before its use in menu)
- adding back lost option to bulk action menu to unassign
- added missing bulk action menu under the table (menu changes are synchronized)
- wrong group label in confirmation message after bulk change
- selecting group for bulk change automatically selects action “assign to”
- dropdown menu for bulk action didn’t respect correct order of groups
- wrong encoding of characters in the tag descriptions
- option to set the target attribute for links (link_target)
- option to hide the tag count in the tooltip when hovering your mouse over a tag (show_tag_count)
- option for different styling of tags according to whether they are assigned to the post or page (assigned_class)
- option to force displaying all groups (show_all_groups)
- parameter “order” not working correctly under certain conditions (multiple taxonomies)
- sorting by tag groups on tag/category page
- bulk assigning of terms
- localizations enabled
- Spanish translation (es_ES) by Andrew Kurtis – muchas gracias!
- tag group not saved on Edit Tag screen
- multiple taxonomies (please check settings after update)
- new parameter to select taxonomies for tag cloud
- function post_in_tag_group was wrong for other taxonomies than tags
- multiple shortcodes/clouds per page by using ‘div_id’ with own values
- general settings for ‘collapsible’ and ‘mouseover’ can be overridden per cloud
- new parameters to prepend and append text to tags
- added two parameters for shortcode and function to filter tags or groups depending on the tags of a particular post
- added parameter to optionally hide empty tabs
- updated uninstall routine
- fixed filter not showing up in some settings
- filter posts on the back end and show only posts that have tags belonging to particular tag groups
- diversified permissions: now editors can edit tag groups, while vital settings can only by changed by administrators
- improved instructions for installing own theme
- fixed deprecated file names – please check cloud tags if you use custom theme
- theme images lost during plugin evolution
- fixed css of jquery-ui
- svn missed files, new version is 0.8.2.2
- fixed warning for adding term that is not managed by this plugin
- new parameters for shortcode to display a separator
- fixed potential problem when flushing the cache
- fixed shortcode not working in widgets; can now be enabled in settings
- fixed wrong stripping of html in term descriptions (thanks to Ahni for reporting)
- uninstallation now removes plugin settings
- fixed typo
- supports now other taxonomies than post_tag
- user-friendlier settings page
- fixed wrong group displayed on quick edit
- fixed ‘foreach’ warning (thanks to IOTI for reporting)
- wrong code in instructions
- optional output as array for theme developers
- tags can now be sorted
- counting tags
- saving of menus
- improved inline editing in tag list (still problems with Opera browser)
- hardened security with ‘nonce’
- with WPML installed, inline editing of tag groups showed up at posts
- faulty default settings after plugin activation
- tabs on tag cloud: support for mousover and collapsible
- optionally not enqueuing jQuery for custom themes
- problem saving themes
- support for WPML string translation of tag group labels
- incomplete deletion of tag groups
- no display of unused tags
- wrong counting of tags
- obsolete JS
- Wrong label introduced in last version.
- Introduced an option to show a tag cloud without tabs – useful when displaying tags of just one group.
- Tag groups are now visible as new column in the tag list.
- Tag groups can now be assigned upon tag creation and changed directly in the tag list.
- Showing wrong tag group in single tag view.
- initial release