A simple plugin to Sync Facebook events to The Events Calendar plugin by Modern Tribe.
Get The Events Calendar plugin:
- Download the plugin archive and expand it
- Upload the sync-facebook-events folder to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Go to the plugins page and click ‘Activate’ for Sync FB Events
- Navigate to the Settings section within WordPress and enter your Facebook App ID, App Secret & UID.
- Ensure The Events Calendar plugin is installed and configured – https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/the-events-calendar/
- Press ‘Update’ to synchronize your current Facebook events for display within The Events Calendar.
- Synchronization will continue to occur on the schedule you set. You can always update manually if/when needed.
Q: What is the Facebook App ID and App Secret, and why are they required?
A: The Facebook App ID and App Secret are required by Facebook to access data via the Facebook graph API.
To signup for a developer account or learn more see – http://developers.facebook.com/docs/guides/canvas/
Q: How do I find the Facebook UID of the page for which I wish to synchronize events?
A: Goto the page you’re interested in – ex. https://www.facebook.com/webtrends
Copy the URL and replace ‘www’ with ‘graph’ – ex. https://graph.facebook.com/webtrends
The UID is the first item in the resulting text. In this example it is “54905721286”.
Q: Do my Facebook events get updated on a schedule?
A: Yes, You can choose the update interval and also update immediately when you press the ‘Update’ button from the Sync FB Events section within settings.
Q: Why do I get a blank screen when running an update?
A: Check your Facebook App ID, Facebook App Secret and Facebook UID. One of them is probably incorrect.
Q: Why doesn’t Modern Tribe just provide this functionality within their own plugin?
A: They incorporated this one, actually.
Contributors & Developers
“Sync Facebook Events” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
1.0.7 / 1.0.8
- Fixing the duplicate events issue (finally).
- Adding the correct post_type for modern tribe events
- Minor compatibility fix for WordPress 3.1
- Added ability to allow event synchronization from multiple Facebook pages
- Added ability to adjust event sync frequency
- Added automatic daily event sync
- Added ability to adjust event timezone to WordPress
- Improved update display
- Initial release