Simple, lightweight yet effective spam comment blocker for WordPress.
- Dead simple: no setup required, just activate it and enjoy your spam-free website.
- Lightweight: no additional database queries, it doesn’t add script files or other assets in your theme. This means your website performance will not be affected and your server will thank you.
- Invisible by design: no captchas, no tricky questions or any other user interaction required at all.
Useful? Bitcoin tipjar: 139kf2V286Wfsstyn7p52XBik14vBEUAKn (QR Code here)
This plugin is now also translated in: Italian. Translation help is welcome.
- Upload the plugin files to the WordPress
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
There is also an option in the ‘Setting’ > ‘Discussion’ menu that let you keep the blocked comments in the WordPress backend spam queue. But please note that since they are stored in the DB, if your website gets lots of spam it may affect your server load.
- I activated the plugin but cannot see any changes on my website
The plugin is invisible by design. But once you activate it, hopefully you will have no more comments by spambots.
- So not only spam messages won’t post, but noone can post any comment
Please, be sure your theme is using the proper
comment_form()template function for displaying comments. For more see this thread.
I have several sites that I tried this on. It did not work for me, within an hour I had spam comments. My advice try it, it may work for you, but unfortunately it did not work for me.
I have been using this plugin for the last two years and it does its job splendidly. The plugin blocks both user registration attempts and anonymous comments from suspicious sources. Judging by the stats, it kills more than 100,000 spam comments a year on my site. I dread the thought of doing that manually!
The “report spam to SFS” button is great!
This is a great plugin! It just works!
Plugin developer actively provide support and bug fixes for this plugin. Highly recommend this plugin to combat spam comments.
Contributors & Developers
“Stop Spam Comments” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Better compatibility with WordPress 4.4 (thanks to NoseGraze)
- Quick fix for compatibility with WordPress 4.4
- Added internationalization support. Italian translation added.
- Improved network/multisite support.
- Added Plug-in hook.
- Added asset icons.
- Added an option to keep blocked comments in the Spam queue, since they are now rejected by default.
- Improved Secret Key algorithm.
- First release.