This plugin blocks referrer spam that you see in your page statistics. This problem is also widely known as “spam referrer attacks”.
The biggest list of spammers
Plugin uses the biggest public list of URLs that are considered as a spamming services; over 2200 URLs right now! List is provided by Matomo, the biggest open source analytics system. You can find it here; you can also contribute to that list by adding your own urls.
Yep, you can add your own URLs to blacklist! In a flash! So easy…
No annoying updates!
This plugin uses service located on our servers to update the list of spammers, hence you do not have to update the plugin itself whenever list is updated.
No need of an account!
As it is said before, this plugin uses endpoint to get the actual list. That endpoint points to author’s server (https://srs.wielo.co), but there is no need of an account to use it. And no worries, this plugin do not collect any data about the users 🙂
You can see the current list of blocked websites in the admin panel, under “Settings/Referral Spam”. There is also time of the next update. That is it! No configuration needed! 🙂
Free of any charges!
It is completely free! Enjoy! 🙂
via Admin Panel
- Go to “Plugins” -> “Add new”
- Search for “Stop Referrer Spam”
- Install the plugin and activate it.
- upload all plugin files to
- go to “Plugins” -> “Installed plugins” and activate Stop Referrer Spam
Does the plugin block **all** spam traffic?
Well, no. Unfortunately some of the spam services uses techniques that makes them unrecognisable, but it still blocks nearly all of them 🙂
Does the plugin use any of my data?
No, not at all.
Do I need an account to use it?
Nope, no need of an account.
Can I put my own URLs that I want to block?
Yes you can! And each URL will be a wildcard. That means, if you put horrible-spam.com on the list, it will block all the trafic from that domain + sub-domains on any level.
Contributors & Developers
“Stop Referrer Spam” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Stop Referrer Spam” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- 1.3.1 – fixed security concern related to csrf token
- 1.3.0 – updated compatible version, few other bugfixes
- 1.2.9 – added csrf check on config page
- 1.2.8 – parametrised blacklist URL
- 1.2.7 – updated compatible version, made logs more detailed
- 1.2.6 – switched to new secured url with blacklist, few small changes to eliminate php notices
- 1.1.5 – adjusted to new WP version and fixed issue for some php versions
- 1.1.4 – improvements on plugin’s admin page
- 1.1.3 – adjusted to new version
- 1.1.2 – copy changes
- 1.1.1 – updated version, and description for wildcards
- 1.1.0 – custom URLs are here! now you can add your own URL to blacklist; other fixes and improvements
- 1.0.5 – added check to ensure that the cron is set up; small changes on plugin’s admin page
- 1.0.4 – added “refresh now” option; improved the script that updates the list
- 1.0.3 – now using wp function to get referrer, improved description
- 1.0.2 – changed description, corrected version number
- 1.0.1 – changed blacklist endpoint, removed short tags
- 1.0.0 – official release