Looking for maintainers. This plugin is currently not maintained. If you would like to take over the development please let me know using the plugin support forum or GitHub issue system.
WordPress Social Login is a good alternative to this plugin:
Social Connect adds social login buttons on the login, register and comment forms of your WordPress site.
The buttons offer login and registration using a Twitter, Facebook, Google, Yahoo or WordPress.com account.
It makes it super easy for new members to register with your site and existing members to login.
Special thanks to:
- markusdrake for patches and helping in the support forums;
- L D for patches and helping in the support forums;
- Geodanny for helping in the support forums; and
- Wirone for polish translation and patches.
And everyone else in the forums sharing the fixes they find and answering each others questions.
Social Connect is rapidly growing in popularity and help with the growing pains is appreciated.
If you’re a developer, you can contribute fixes & optimisations via Social Connect on GitHub.
Everyone can help out by answering questions in the Support Forums.
- Upload everything into the “/wp-content/plugins/” directory of your WordPress site.
- Activate in the “Plugins” admin panel.
- Visit the “Settings | Social Connect” administration page to configure social media providers.
- Does Social Connect work with WordPress Multisite?
- Does Social Connect work with the Theme My Login plugin?
- Can visitors connect with Social Connect to make a comment?
- Do I need to add template tags to my theme?
Social Connect attempts to work with the default WordPress comment, login and registration forms.
If you want to add the social connect login or registration forms to another location in your theme, you can insert the following code in that location:
<?php do_action( 'social_connect_form' ); ?>
You can also use the shortcode below to add Social Connect login to a page or post:
- Where can I report bugs & get support?
First, a few caveats on support.
This is free software. Please be patient. I attempt to answer all questions, just not on the same day or even week. Polite and descriptive questions will always be given priority.
Please search the support forums before asking a question – duplicate questions will not receive a reply.
With those caveats in mind, ask questions in the Support Forums.
To help me diagnose the issue, please include the following information in your post on the Forums:
- what specifically is broken in Social Connect (eg. the buttons don’t show up or it doesn’t redirect back form Google)
- what you did just before Social Connect stopped working (eg. activated, enabled all OpenID providers, clicked the Google login button)
- version of the plugin
- version of WordPress
- list of other plugins installed
- error messages you receive (if any)
- Why doesn’t Social Connect Work?
Please make sure you are running the latest version of Social Connect and the latest version of WordPress.
For a quick fix and for more information see this forum topic.
If you don’t have White Label CMS installed, please double check your settings then post a question in the Support Forums.
- Social Connect and Better WP Security plugin
If you have Better WP Security plugin enable you must disable “Prevent long URL strings” option otherwise Social Connect won’t work properly.
- Why a random e-mail is created when connecting using Twitter?
Unfortunately the Twitter API don’t return the user email address. So the plugin gerates a random e-mail address like email@example.com.
the best plugin for facebook login.
Contributors & Developers
“Social Connect” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Add support to Google+ Sign-In (thanks jneto for your help)
- Added a filter & a hook to process the new user account (proposed by Frique)
- Updated dead links to Facebook apps page (proposed by Frique)
- Fix issue with Twitter avatar (proposed by Frique)
- Support for multi-word last names retreived from social networks (proposed by Frique) 1.2
- Update facebook-php-sdk to latest version
- Add link to Social Connect settings page in the plugins page
- Replace jQuery .live() method with .on() method (proposed by nunomorgadinho)
- Remove unnecessary call to jQuery noconflict (proposed by nunomorgadinho)
- Fix Social Connect login from registration page when multisite is enabled (reported by bvpraveenkumar)
- Make sure TwitterOAuth is not available before including it to avoid conflict with other plugins using the same library
- Use login_enqueue_scripts instead of login_head to enqueue scripts
- Better error handling in sc_http_get_contents()
- Added social_connect_before_register_twitter action hook (proposed by appsxtreme)
- Added $access_token to the parameters of the ‘social_connect_before_register_facebook’ action hook (proposed by appsxtreme)
- Test the right variable in sc_http_get_contents() (proposed by appsxtreme)
- Fix error with OpenID provider when server has HTTPS enabled (reported by @ciudy)
- Add screeshot of the admin page and update FAQ page
- Remove anonymous function to preserve PHP 5.2 compatibility broken with the release of version 1.0 of the plugin
- Replace custom jQuery dialog CSS with the one used by WP to avoid conflicts with other plugins and themes
- Only create a new WP user if registration is enabled
- Replace curl with WordPress HTTP API – thanks rmathis
- Remove direct calls to wp-load.php
- Remove rewrite diagnostics section from the admin
- Fix XSS vulnerability
- Use HTTPS version of Google CDN to include jQuery UI CSS (proposed by ismailfazal)
- Fix Twitter login
- Added several hooks to make it easier to extend the plugin
- Add social-connect html only if there is a social login enabled
- Pt-br translations
- Setting CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER to false
- Moving comments icons to top of comment form (using
comment_form_tophook instead of
- No longer relying on
file_get_contents()function (using custom
- Removing “Not You?” double-dialogue.
social_connect_formaction to replace template tag with
do_action( 'social_connect_form' ).
- Social Connect widget can now be customised
- l10n implemented
- Polish translation.
- Fixing ’email_exists’ bug
- Removing Windows Live due to broken implementation
- Fixing IE7 Bug reported here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-social-connect-social-connect-fails-on-ie7?replies=9
- Returning to a single admin page as diagnostics is smaller without Windows Live
- Removing generic OpenID for security concerns: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/545420
- Only calling deprecated registration.php file if WP < 3.1 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/540156
- Social Connect moved to it’s own top level menu in wp-admin.
- Enable/disable integration with each social provider.
- Simplified setup for Windows Live.
- Introduced diagnostics to check for required cryptographic extensions and server rewrite rules.
- Fix for directory name
- Initial beta release.