The original plugin can basically only be used on Chinese only websites; as soon as you install it on a bi/multilingual site it messes up the slugs of the non-Chinese languages.
This fork has been adapted by my ex-colleague Denis Cao in such a way that the slugs of the non-Chinese language remain untouched and only the Chinese character slugs will be transformed into pinyin.
Chinese characters don’t come out good in permalinks. Without the SO Pinyin Slugs plugin activated, the example post I made for the screenshot will get a slug like this: %e6%90%9c%e7%b4%a2%e5%bc%95%e6%93%8e%e4%bc%98%e5%8c%96. With the plugin the slug automatically becomes sousuoyinqingyouhua.
Search engines such as Baidu obviously cannot make much of the first slug, but they can handle pinyin perfectly, especially when it is written as one long string without hyphens or underscores.
So instead of transforming “中国” into two separate words divided by a hyphen or an underscore (the original plugin has this as options), it is best transformed into “zhongguo”. The only option SO Pinyin Slugs therefore has left is the length that you can limit to an x amount of letters. The default is 100, which should be plenty for most.
I have decided to only support this plugin through Github. Therefore, if you have any questions, need help and/or want to make a feature request, please open an issue over at Github. You can also browse through open and closed issues to find what you are looking for and perhaps even help others.
PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR ISSUES VIA THE WORDPRESS FORUMS
Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.
The SO Pinyin Slugs plugin has received the WPML Certification of Compatibility.
Search for “SO Pinyin Slugs” and install with the Plugins > Add New back-end page.
… OR …
Follow these steps:
- Download zip file.
- Upload the zip file via the Plugins > Add New > Upload page … OR … unpack and upload with your favorite FTP client to the /plugins/ folder.
- Activate the plugin on the Plug-ins page.
- Known Issues:
- SO Pinyin Slugs will not transform existing slugs
- Can I use this plugin also for Traditional Chinese?
No, the dictionary part of the plugin only contains Simplified Chinese. If you want, you can check what words the dictionary contains by going into
- I have an issue with this plugin, where can I get support?
Please open an issue over at Github, as I will not use the support forums here on WordPress.org
I am setting up my Chinese blog and this plugin is so handy, it handles the pinyin slugs perfectly, I would like to thank the author for the great efforts.
Contributors & Developers
“SO Pinyin Slugs” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- date: March 15, 2017
- add sanitize_title filter once the file has been included as per suggestion of Polylang author @Chouby
- tidying up
- date: November 29, 2016
- remove version check
- tested up to WP 4.7
- date: August 7, 2015
- TWEAK: header settings page; only showed half logo after 2.0.3 update
- date: August 5, 2015
- changed header settings page to h1 (https://make.wordpress.org/plugins/2015/08/03/4-3-change-to-plugin-dashboard-pages/)
- show 4.3 compatibility
- date: June 19, 2015
- revert to semantic versioning
- date: April 9, 2015
- changed logos
- new banner image for WP.org Repo by Joschko Hammermann
- date: July 29, 2014
- due to non-compatibility issues with WP 4.0, complete rewrite of the plugin from the ground up
- bump minimum required WP version up to 3.8
- date: December 28, 2013
- fix reported bug that causes entire admin to be a maximum width of 48rem
- date: December 26, 2013
- tested up to WP 3.9-alpha
- settings page overhaul to better match WP 3.8 style
- change version number format
- change links
- change text domain to prepare for language packs (via Otto – http://otto42.com/el)
- compatible up to WordPress 3.7
- redo version check, min. requirement WordPress 3.6
- change Github link
- add Dutch language files
- add WPML accreditation
- separate dictionary.php file
- add Mandarin Chinese language files
- edit readme.txt and readme.md
- fix textdomain issue
- First stable release