Display recent posts by category or tag (multiples in the premium version), thumbnails, titles only or excerpts (automatic excerpts available), pagination and more.
slposts-lite folderto the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- If you want to use the Widget, you can add the Single Latest Posts widget under ‘Appearance->Widgets’
- If you want to use the Shortcode, go to a page or post then click the SLPosts icon (red button in the TinyMCE editor) or use [slposts] (that’s it, seriously!)
This is an just an example with the default values which means I could have used
[slposts] instead, but this will show you how the parameters
are passed. For more examples please visit the Network Latest Post website.
[slposts title=NULL suppress_filters=FALSE number_posts=10 time_frame=0 title_only=TRUE display_type=ulist thumbnail=FALSE thumbnail_wh=80x80 thumbnail_class=NULL thumbnail_filler=placeholder category=NULL tag=NULL paginate=FALSE posts_per_page=NULL excerpt_length=NULL auto_excerpt=FALSE excerpt_trail=text full_meta=FALSE footer_meta=FALSE display_comments=FALSE post_status=publish css_style=NULL wrapper_list_css='nav nav-tabs nav-stacked' wrapper_block_css=content instance=NULL ]
- @title : Widget/Shortcode main title (section title)
- @number_posts : Number of posts BY blog to retrieve. Ex: 10 means, retrieve 10 posts for each blog found in the network
- @time_frame : Period of time to retrieve the posts from in days. Ex: 5 means, find all articles posted in the last 5 days
- @title_only : Display post titles only, if false then excerpts will be shown
- @display_type : How to display the articles, as an: unordered list (ulist), ordered list (olist) or block elements
- @thumbnail : If true then thumbnails will be shown, if active and not found then a placeholder will be used instead
- @thumbnail_wh : Thumbnails size, width and height in pixels, while using the shortcode or a function this parameter must be passed like: ’80×80′
- @thumbnail_class : Thumbnail class, set a custom class (alignleft, alignright, center, etc)
- @thumbnail_filler : Placeholder to use if the post’s thumbnail couldn’t be found, options: placeholder, kittens, puppies (what?.. I can be funny sometimes)
- @category : Category you want to display. Ex: cats means, retrieve posts published under the category cats
- @tag : Same as categoy WordPress treats both taxonomies the same way
- @paginate : Display results by pages, if used then the parameter posts_per_page must be specified, otherwise pagination won’t be displayed
- @posts_per_page : Set the number of posts to display by page (paginate must be activated)
- @excerpt_length : Set the excerpt’s length in case you think it’s too long for your needs Ex: 40 means, 40 words (55 by default)
- @auto_excerpt : If true then it will generate an excerpt from the post content, it’s useful for those who forget to use the Excerpt field in the post edition page
- @excerpt_trail : Set the type of trail you want to append to the excerpts: text, image. The text will be more, the image is inside the plugin’s img directory and it’s called excerpt_trail.png
- @full_meta : Display the date and the author of the post, for the date/time each blog time format will be used
- @footer_meta : Display footer metadata
- @display_comments : Display comments count, full_meta must be active in order for this parameter to work (true to activate, false by default)
- @post_status : Specify the status of the posts you want to display: publish, new, pending, draft, auto-draft, future, private, inherit, trash
- @css_style : Use a custom CSS style instead of the one included by default, useful if you want to customize the front-end display: filename (without extension), this file must be located where your active theme CSS style is located, this parameter should be used only once by page (it will affect all shorcodes/widgets included in that page)
- @wrapper_list_css : Custom CSS classes for the list wrapper
- @wrapper_block_css : Custom CSS classes for the block wrapper
- @instance : This parameter is intended to differenciate each instance of the widget/shortcode/function you use, it’s required in order for the asynchronous pagination links to work
- @suppress_filters : This parameter is specially useful when dealing with WP_Query custom filters, if you are using a plugin like Advanced Category Excluder then you must set this value to YES/TRUE
- What do I need in order to make this plugin work for me?
- I can’t see the thumbnails
Your theme have to support thumbnails, just add this to the function.php inside your theme folder:
- Can I pull posts from custom post types?
Not in this version, you can buy Single Latest Posts (pro) which includes custom post type capabilities. Please visit http://single-latest-posts.laelitenetwork.com
- How can I display posts from multiple categories and/or tags?
Single Latest Posts (pro) allows you to display posts from multiple categories and/or tags. Please visit http://single-latest-posts.laelitenetwork.com
- What else is missing from the Lite version?
Full post content, random posts, sorting capabilities, custom thumbnails and custom default stylesheets options.
No matter what parameters I set up it shows “cannot find content”.
The name of this plugin is “Single Latest Posts”. That’s all I wanted, the ability to display “latest posts” somewhere other than a widget area. But as seems customary with WP plugin authors, this has been crammed full of options and in the end is a beast to work with, and well.. it doesn’t work!
I want to display 2 titles to the latest articles posted to my blog. That’s it.
Contributors & Developers
“Single Latest Posts Lite” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Improvement: Ajax pagination improved, now once a new page has been loaded it will scroll to the top of the posts’ list.
- Bug fix: Checking if filter_where exists when using time frame and multiple instances to avoid duplicate function fatal errors.
- Improvement: Added footer_meta parameter which allows to show/hide footer metadata
- Improvement: Added suppress_filters parameter for third party plugins support. This parameter when set to TRUE reset query filters.
- Improvement: Ellipsis are now displayed only when excerpt length exceeds the limit specified through excerpt_length.
- Improvement: now when using auto_excerpt=true, excerpts will be generated only for posts without one.
- Bug fix: excerpts were cropped exceeding the value specified through the excerpt_length parameter.
- Bug fix: parameters containing uppercase values were being ignored.
- Added support for translated date formats.
- Bug fix: widget thumbnail size was being reset by default data.
- HTML improvement to simplify visual customization
- Loading jQuery UI libraries included in the WordPress core
- Support for WordPress 3.5
- Initial release