Why navigate your blog by search or menus? Display your blog on Google maps instead!
The purpose of Sightings is to allow you to link any of your post or page with a specific geographic location.
Since version 1.3 you can even let your visitors submit their own geotagged places by dropping their own markers on the [sightings-map]!
Display all your recorded sightings on a larger map by using the shortcode: [sightings-map] on any post or page.
Example of situations where you’d find Sightings useful, if:
- you’re blogging about UFO sightings and want to display the location where the UFO was seen
- you’re reporting news and want to pin-point the location of main event in the story
- you’re blogging about the latest trip you took to a city or a nice place where you’ve been on vacation
- you want to give directions to someone about something connected to what you are writing
You can surely come up with other useful ways to use Sightings!
- PHP 5.3 or later
- Easy to get started, easy to use
- Geo-tag any post or page
- Display the geo-tag on a Google map that can be viewed on the post
- Display all recorded geo-tags collectively on a larger map by typing the shortcode: [sightings-map] into any post or page
- Multiple language support (English, Swedish)
- How do I use this plugin?
Once you have installed and activated the plugin, create a new post. Scroll down a bit until you see the map meta-box.
Click and drag the marker to a desired position on the map.
Click the “Use” button.
Save/Publish your post.
View the post, the map should now be displayed at the top of your post.
- How do I let my visitors submit their own location markers?
On any post or page, type in the text: [sightings-map]
Publish the post or page.
On the published page a map will now appear that allows your visitors to contribute geotagged locations along with some descriptive text and user information.
Click on the “[+] Contribute with a location” link at the bottom of the map. A marker will appear. Drag it to desired location. Click it and enter location information. Click “Submit”.
Every submission is imported into your blog as a drafted post, awaiting your approval. Just change the post status to “published” if you want it to appear publicly on your blog along with your other sightings.
It is highty recommended that you configure the Sightings settings in admin first. Here you can also choose to recieve e-mails when someone submits a new sighting through the form.
- How do I display all markers on a larger map?
First, make sure that you have created some posts, positioned and saved the geolocations on the maps.
Otherwise the map will be empty.
Create a new post/page.
In the text meta-box, type in the text: [sightings-map]
Save/publish the post/page.
View the post/page.
- Can I filter out markers by category on the larger map?
Yes, just enter the [sightings-map] attribute cat_slug or cat_id for the category you want to display on the map.
This will only fetch and display sightings markers for the provided category on the [sightings-map].
For example: [sightings-map cat_id=”3″] ,will display only sightings that have the category with id 3.
- I really like this plugin! How can i contribute?
I’m glad to hear that! Please consider rating it 5 stars and spread the word (Twitter, Facebook, Google+ etc.)
You can also send me feedback or suggestions for improvement, write me on Twitter (@aaslun).
Or, if you want to make me really happy and motivate further development, give a small donation here: http://webdez.se/donate/
- Bug fix for contributed sightings. Locations were not stored correctly and caused sightings-map to not render at all. You may need to delete old sightings if you experience problems since contributor locations may be corrupted.
- Date picker in contributor sightings.
- Bug fix for latitudes and longitudes not being retrieved in a suggested way. This could cause, under some cirumstances, markers to be placed in “Limbo” (i.e. on positions outside the map that does not really exist).
- Important bug fix for user submitted post images. User was forced to submit an image, if no image was submitted a fatal error was thrown (Thanks to Karen for bug reporting).
- Removed lingering lambda function that caused problems for users with strict or old PHP installations (Thanks to photosite.de and remtheory for bug reporting).
- Removed needless Gravity Forms feature (feature just wasn’t useful enough).
- Fixed CSS-bugs.
- Support for multiple markers on one post.
- Button to “Delete all sightings”, will delete all sightings post-meta (map positions) from the database.
- IMPORTANT! You must delete all your previous sightings after upgrading to v 1.3.2. Multiple marker feature is not backwards compatible with sightings created before v 1.3.2.
- No marker added initially on new posts. Makes sense, first marker should be added by user.
- Better back-end handling of image uploads for contributor sightings.
- CSS fixes
- Sightings post maps are now displayed at the top of the post instead of at the bottom.
- Removed the old contribution form and shortcode. You can now leave a contribution by dropping a marker directly on the [sightings-map].
- Support for connecting with Gravity Forms to display number of replies on a form used on a Sight, if you have it installed.
- Bugfixes: Contributor categories was fetched wrong. Selected contributor author was not set on load.
- Improved plugin file structure offers better overview.
- Replaced lambda functions in filters.php for better PHP compatibility.
- Better Swedish translations.
- Support for allow_contributors, allow_contributor_image, width, height, zoom, scrollwheel, draggable, cat_slug and cat_id attributes on the [sightings-map] shortcode.
- Crowd sourcing feature: let your visitors submit their own sightings through a contributor form
- Fixed some minor bugs
- Improved validation to reduce risk of user error
- Rewritten Sightings core to support a more object oriented approach to make code easier to maintain and develop
- Multiple language support
- Added translation for the Swedish text domain
- Prepared a text domain template (sightings-xx_XX) to encourage translations to other languages
- Fixed some typos
- Replaced short open tags to increase PHP compatibility
- Updated the FAQ
- Initial release. Basic functionality.