- IMPORTANT as of version 3.7.0 Rootspersona requires PHP5.6 or above
Check out the Changelog for new release details!
RootsPersona creates one or more pages of family history using data imported from one or more GEDCOM files.
It allows an administrator to create pages featuring people or evidence with a variety of panels that can
be mixed and matched for optimum customization.
New in 3.0!
- You can now identify RootsPersona as the System of Record, allowing you to edit your data online!
- Includes a Top Ten Surnames widget!
- Support for multi-site installs
- New Demo Site
- Support for GEDCOM Version 5.5
- Support for HTML5 microdata from historical-data.org
- Ability to upload more than one GEDCOM file from the same source and link families together
- Ability to select which persons from the GEDCOM file to create pages for
- As updates are made, GEDCOM files can be reloaded and existing pages will be updated
- Each page includes links to children and spouses
- Each page displays a visual family tree that includes three generations
- Ability to link pictures uploaded to WordPress to each person (up to 7)
- Flexible privacy options, including Public, Member Only, and Private
- MANY customization options…
** New in 3.0! **
- if you define RootsPersona as the system of record, you can now edit your data online!
- enhanced installer now supports multi-site installation!
For detailed documentation, goto rootspersona.com/plugins/RootsPersona
Upgrading from versions earlier than 2.4.0
- If you are still running a version earlier than 2.4.0, you must first upgrade to 2.4.0 before going any higher
For detailed documentation, goto [rootspersona.com/plugins/RootsPersona] (http://rootspersona.com/plugins/RootsPersona “Documentation”)
To import your first GEDCOM and create your first page(s):
- Find the Upload GEDCOM File page link under RootsPersona Options.
- Browse for a GEDCOM file on your local PC and select ‘Upload’.
- Select one or more persons to create pages for and select ‘Submit’
Your WordPress site will now have one or more persona pages for the people you selected!
Note: importing GEDCOM files from different programs can have unexpected consequences.
RootsPersona uses the ids generated in the GEDCOM file, and different programs may assign the same ids to different people.
It is recommended to manage your data in a single program (the ‘system of record’),
and to use GEDCOM files generated by that program, only.
- Install the plugin from the WordPress plugin site, or using the ‘Add Plugin’ link
on the plugin page of your WordPress instance.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
At this point the plugin is ready to use!
- What happened to the GEDCOM file I uploaded?
The GEDCOM file on your PC is untouched. The copy uploaded to WordPress is converted into a set of
person and family files in XML format. After conversion, the GEDCOM file uploaded to WordPress is deleted.
- I only want people who are logged in to see certain people on my site.
You can change the default privacy setting on the Options page, or override the setting on a page by page basis.
- When I try to upload a file, the screen goes blank.
This is usually a timeout issue on your site. See the explanation on the upload page.
- Can a reload a GEDCOM?
Yes. As long as the INDI ids are the same, existing records will be updated, not duplicated.
HOWEVER if your program assigns new ids to the same people, your data may become corrupt, so make sure you check.
You may also delete pages and data using the Tools->rootspersona->Delete Pages and reload the GEDCOM.
Currently you will lose any links to pictures if you do that.
A very good job.
Thank you for this plugin 😉
Only, it lacks the possibility of translating the Months (JAN, FEB, etc.) into other languages. Maybe something like that:
$dict = array( 'JAN' => __('JAN', 'rootspersona'), 'FEB' => __('FEB', 'rootspersona'), 'MAR' => __('MAR', 'rootspersona'), 'APR' => __('APR', 'rootspersona'), 'MAY' => __('MAY', 'rootspersona'), 'JUN' => __('JUN', 'rootspersona'), 'JUL' => __('JUL', 'rootspersona'), 'AUG' => __('AUG', 'rootspersona'), 'SEP' => __('SEP', 'rootspersona'), 'OCT' => __('OCT', 'rootspersona'), 'NOV' => __('NOV', 'rootspersona'), 'DEC' => __('DEC', 'rootspersona'), ); ///...///
Installed version 3.6.0 uploaded a gedcom file and its working great!
Very good plugin to publish GEDCOM files from your local Family Tree program. Now with dutch translation!
Zeer goede plugin om je GEDCOM-bestanden bijv. uit Legacy of welk ander genealogisch programma dan ook, te publiceren op je WordPress site. Installatie en inrichting soms niet altijd even overzichtelijk. Maar vergeet niet om op de site informatie hier over op te zoeken. Ik heb een Nederlandse vertaling gemaakt, die ik dit najaar ga vervolmaken. Als deze nog niet meegeleverd wordt, kun je deze bij mij bestellen.
Melhor plugin para arvore genealogia!!! Testei vários e sempre encontro erros, bugs, mas nesse está rodando certinho.
My family tree has over 3,500 individuals, and RootsPersona handles it all flawlessly. The only really helpful additional feature that I can think of would be a “how is person A related to person B” shortcode.
Regardless, 5 stars well deserved!
I’ve tried many different plugins for both WP and Joomla. In the end this is the clear winner. We have a very large GEDCOM file created with Family Tree Maker and it imported, created the pages and had us off and running in a short time. We actually wanted it customized and contacted Ed the creator of RootsPersona and made a small contribution to sponsor the upgrade. He nailed it and now we have the perfect solution for our family tree project. Top notch 5* all around! Thanks again Ed Thompson for your support.
Contributors & Developers
“Rootspersona” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- IMPORTANT Rootspersona now requires PHP5.6 or above
- do not delete Evidence Index when deleting persona pages
- minor bug fixes
- fix SOR save issue
- Dutch translation files
- fix 404 jquery.tablesorter.js not found issue
- fixed data access issue for SOR mode
- updated for PHP 7
- fix issue with page title changing back to last name first
- fix surname widget (missing div)
- add batch id to notes lookups
- added hide donation button option
- fixed validation tool issue with corrupting page titles
- fix jquery drag and drop issue on admin screen (WP 3.6.1 compatability issue)
- fix parent page for evidence causing large top level menus
- include name suffix (Jr, Sr, etc…) when displaying name(including page titles)
- surname widget now has links
- fixed bug blocking new facts in Persona Editor
- some users reported install issues. read only file was opened rw, perm issues
- minor error when adding new page
- fix WP 3.5 compatability issue with JQuery (showed itself on widget screen)
- Added advanced template feature
- Fixed 404 error when permalinks used
- Fixed error in bio shortcode (not retrieving data)
- fix issue with FACT types versus EVENT types
- added option to make Editor optional edit privileges
- fix errant join when multiple batches
- fix problem with pictures not appearing on edit screen
- fix save privacy issue at persona level
- address jQuery issue in WP 3.4
- remove errant wp_ from table name
- fix event and fact matching
- fix issue with mysql connections and families
- fix issue with parental links when mysql connections needed
- enhanced debug output with error_log even when xdebug not active
- Added System of Record support, including adding and editing persons
- Better handling of surname slashes to avoid mushed names
- Updated installer to support multi-site WP
- removed null surnames from top ten list
- added error check for failure to upload a file
- Facts panel now displays Facts and Events
- Cleaned up the options screen
- fixed IE incompatability with the delete method
- Support for HTML5 microdata from historical-data.org
- Added a top 10 surname widget
- minor fix to CSS for date fields
- Added simple debug option
- Reroute private person link on public person page site url
- new style options to work with more themes
- fox spousal dates on Descendants panel
- Added Descendancy Charts to persona page
- Minor bug fixes
- Fixed missing batch_id for page edits
- Fixed missing argument 1 error for edits
- Use first 60 characters of TITLE if ABBR missing from GEDCOM
- fixed issue with the Hide Locations option
- reorganized options page
- added more style overrides (backgrounds and border colors)
- added option to delete data after deleting pages
- fixed issue with multiple entries on index when the GED has multiple names
- fixed localization bug (pointing to wrong directory)
- added support for defining different ‘batches’ for GED files (support for separate ‘trees’)
- rows per page option for indices made visible
- added style attribute to index shortcodes – supports paginated (default) and scrollable
- Fix issue with competing index pages
- Fix issue with missing name in index if full name is not really complete
- fix issue with multiple birth dates in GEDCOM overwriting death date
- added surname attribute to index shortcode to support index by shortcode.
- changed the underlying code to be database driven
- added more flexible privacy options
- pictures now wrap on the persona page
- No more xsl processing
- plugin processes with less memory
- picture selection now interfaces with the WordPress media picker
- improved localization
- indexes now paginated (but sorting is gone)
- you can now customize the banner (the divider between persona panels) to be more consistent with your theme
- support for multiple character encodings
- added a second panel design for the header panel that display a bio
- added an optional bio panel
- misc bug fixes
- sorting Evidence Index by title
- formatting Evidence title
- sorry, few bugs in 1.6
- added more events to the Facts panel
- added validation of parent page assignment to page validation
- upload process uses less memory
- upload process now converts most character encodings to UTF-8
- added error checking for file not found, empty HTML pages
- added Evidence pages