This plugin simply packages the RWD Image Maps jQuery plugin for use in WordPress, providing an easy way to make image maps responsive in a WordPress theme.
This plugin is licensed under the GPLv2, and the jQuery plugin is licensed under the MIT license.
If you have questions or problems with the RWD Image Maps jQuery plugin itself (not the WordPress wrapper for it), go to the jQuery RWD Image Maps plugin page on GitHub.
To manually install the plugin, follow these steps:
- Download and unzip the plugin, and upload the ‘responsive-image-maps’ folder to your
/wp-content/plugins/directory. Or, download the plugin, and upload the ZIP file using the plugin uploader in the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- There is no third step. Your image maps should now be responsive.
Very relieved to find this still works. Just put your full size image coordinates into a normal map and it automagically adjusts them. Simple & brilliant.
Seems to be working great and the mapping stays where I intended, regardless of screen size.
For those who had previously asked how to “access” this plugin… You don’t. You still have to create your image map code elsewhere (like http://www.image-maps.com/ or Adobe Image Ready, etc.). This plugin works in the background making the code you put into your WordPress site “work”.
I used this nifty online tool (https://www.image-maps.com/map_image.php) to make an image map, wondering if it would work after so many years of not using them (almost 2 decades!) and it worked for some screen widths … but not others. Your plugin (which doesn’t seem to require any configuration at all) fixed the responsive issue, and works like a charm! THANKS! 🙂
The jQuery plugin it’s based on hasn’t been updated in 3 years, and this plugin in 2, but it’s working for me on 4.5.3!
People with issues in usage should check out the original jQuery plugin for more info:
I installed and activated the plugin on my local site but there doesn’t appear to be any place to access it to map images. I am obviously missing something.
Contributors & Developers
“Responsive Image Maps” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Updated the RWD Image Maps jQuery plugin to version 1.5.
- Updated the RWD Image Maps jQuery plugin to version 1.4. Images are no longer required to have width/height attributes.
- Updated readme.txt
- Updated the jQuery RWD Image Maps plugin to version 1.3, which adds IE8 support: https://github.com/stowball/jQuery-rwdImageMaps/pull/7
- Fixed path to jQuery plugin
- Updated readme file
- Initial release