This plugin does exactly what the title says, when activated will remove the Tools menu from your WordPress Admin navigation menu. If you need import, export, or get the press-this bookmarklet again, or if any of your plugins add submenus into it, simply deactivate the plugin, do your thing, then re-enable the Remove Tools Menu plugin to remove it again and keep it out of your way. NOTE: there are certain plugins that add things to the Tools menu… those obviously won’t show up either but the plugin still does what it was built to do. Have fun.
- Upload the
remove-tools-menufolder to the
- Activate the Remove Tools Menu plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Why did you create this as a plugin?
Why not? In all the WP sites I’ve ever had I think I’ve only used the Import/Export thing like four times ever. For everyday normal use I got tired of it getting in my way. I created this plugin to share as others may want to hide it until needed.
Contributors & Developers
“Remove Tools Menu” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Release Date – 2017-03-29
- tested up to WP 4.8
- security so it’s not accessed directly w/o wp loading
- tested to wp 4.2
- changed filter when plugin runs – was causing issues with media library display from post insert
- also took out legacy crap and made this plugin require WP version 3.1+
- Updated to admin_init action hook. Works either way but the new correct way is init.
- Little code cleanup and readme update
- No new features, does the same thing 🙂
- Now checks if remove_menu_page function exists and uses that if it does and will default to older method if not.
- Initial release