This plugin will completely remove the ‘/category/’ from your permalinks ( e.g.
No configuration is required
- Better and logical permalinks like
- Simple plugin – No configuration is required.
- No need to modify wordpress files.
- Doesn’t require other plugins to work.
- Compatible with sitemap plugins.
- Compatible with WPML.
- Works with multiple sub-categories.
- Works with WordPress Multisite.
- Redirects old category permalinks to the new ones (301 redirect, good for SEO).
Read the FAQ before use.
Want to help? Use the support
- Why should I use this plugin?
Use this plugin if you want to get rid of WordPress’ “Category base” completely. The normal behaviour of WordPress is to add ‘/category’ to your category permalinks if you leave “/category” blank in the Permalink settings. So your category links look like
mydomain.com/category/my-category/. With this plugin your category links will look like
mydomain.com/my-category/sub-category/in case of sub categories).
- Will it break any other plugins?
As far as I can tell, no. I have been using this on several blogs for a while and it doesn’t break anything.
- Won’t this conflict with pages?
Simply don’t have a page and category with the same slug. Even if they do have the same slug it won’t break anything, just the category will get priority (Say if a category and page are both ‘xyz’ then
mydomain.com/xyz/will give you the category). This can have an useful side-effect. Suppose you have a category ‘news’, you can add a page ‘news’ which will show up in the page navigation but will show the ‘news’ category.
- The plugin has been uninstalled, but the slug /category/ did not reappear why?
A particular installation does not allow the rewrite feature in disabling the plugin. Try after disabling the plugin, save permanent links again.
Nice coded but the result is exactly the same as when you set a '.' as category slug. It looks nice at first but when you look closer... Pagination is broken so these days this is useless I'm afraid.
It worked exactly as described.
- Fix Erros
- Update Compatible with WPML.
- Add uninstall.
- Initial release.
Contributors & Developers
Remove Category URL is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors