Related Posts is a plugin will add related posts thumbnails after the post. This Related Posts Plugin allows to customize thumbnail sizes, display settings and type of relation.
By default it uses generated by WordPress thumbnail for the first image appeared in the post, that was uploaded on the server with sizes as set in Media settings. You can select between ‘thumbnail’ and ‘medium’ size options. In addition if your theme supports Post Thumbnails feature introduced in WordPress 2.9 you can specify custom thumbnail size. You can also specify post custom field name to be used as thumbnails source.
Thumbnails are arranged in columns under the post with related posts title/excerpt under each post thumbnail. Colors of background, border, text, text sizes, background on mouse over, title and excerpt length can be customized. See screenshot.
You can specify number of related posts to display, start date, categories to show on and to include, top text, style settings, default image URL. You can select type of relation – categories, tags, categories and tags, random or custom taxonomies. You can specify where to display related posts – choose page type (main or single), post type and select categories. You can turn off automatic appending to the end of post and use <?php get_related_posts_thumbnails(); ?> php tag in the Loop of your theme. Related Posts thumbnails sidebar widget is also available. You can use [related-posts-thumbnails] shortcode in the post body.
- Thanks to Adnan for giving life to this plugin.
- This plugin has Russian version
- Thanks to Li-An this plugin has French version
- Thanks to Gidibao this plugin has Italian version
- Thanks to Kuzu this plugin has Turkish version
- Thanks to Mirko this plugin has German version
- Thanks to Bejana for Indonesian translation
- Plugin Homepage – see possible problems and solutions
- New in WordPress 2.9: Post Thumbnail Images « Mark on WordPress
- How does this plugin decide which image to use as post thumbnail?
If your theme supports WordPress Posts Thumbnail feature and post has a specified Post Thumbnail as seen on Edit Post page, when this image will be used as a post thumbnail in related posts. The size of the image is determined by plugin setting ‘Post-thumbnails name’.
If your theme does not support Post Thumbnail feature or post has no assigned thumbnail, when the first image on the post will be used as a thumbnail.
- Does plugin support external images, e.g. uploaded on Flickr?
There is no direct support of external images in the current version of the plugin. You can use custom field option. Or you can use https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/generate-post-thumbnails/ or similar plugin to save external images as post thumbnails.
- What is the default image URL?
If there are no images of the specified size in the post, or file does not exist on the server the default image will be used as a post thumbnail. You can upload your image on server and specify its URL in plugin settings.
Easy to setup and that's what I like!
Great plugin. Really happy I found it.
- [BugFix] Top Text title allows h1 to h6 tags now.
- [BugFix] Removed deprecated constructors for Related Posts widget. Compatible with PHP 7.0
- Major UI changes for admin settings and compatibility with WP 4.5
- compatibility with WP 4.4
- backwards compatibility with WP 2.9
- Added support of custom post types and custom taxonomies
- Added multibyte strings support
- Fixed a bug with double quotes in title
- Fixed a bug with stripping shortcodes
- Added Indonesian translation
- Fixed bug: when not all categories selected and tags only, wrong behavior
- Optimized performance
- Searching for post thumbnail in post body if no assigned Featured Image was set
- Added possibility to show only posts with thumbnails for themes, that support Post Thumbnails
- Removed filter, responsible for image existence
- Fixed bug, if category has 1 post and relation is based on categories, than no posts will be shown
- Font-family can have quotes in settings
- Added Turkish and German versions
- Added clean HTML option without plugin CSS, fixed background color change
- Fixed relative custom url
- Fixed selection of categories on plugin settings page
- French version updated
- Added option to set theme php resizing script
- Improved plugin performance with high number of posts
- PHP configuration allow_url_fopen is taken into account
- Added start date to exclude old posts
- Fixed display, only posts now
- Separated categories – which are displayed amoung thumbnails and on which thumbnails are displayed
- Random relation, for random posts display
- PHP 4.3 compatible now according to WordPress requirements
- tested with WordPress 3.0
- Thanks to Li-An it now has French version.
- Excerpts will be generated if no excerpt were defined.
- Developer mode to see debugging info in HTML source.
- added php tag for use in theme
- added option to turn off automatic appending
- set title length 0 for no title
- added excerpt
- added sidebar widget
- added shortcode
- removed PHP warning on settings page somebody may experience
- full HTML support in top text field
- removed PHP warnings for getimagesize and file if wrong header was received
- fixed Categories and Tags confusion (when you selected Categories relation was based on Tags and vice versa)
- added Categories option to select specific categories
- added post custom field name option as a source for thumbnails
- Released plugin initial version