The Prizm Image plugin helps to achieve web site performance by optimizing images while maintaining resolution and visual quality. Compare our output to the popular Smush.It Plugin and you will see significant reduction in image sizes. Also, Prizm Image has no size limit on the files that can submitted for reduction.
This plugin utilizes the Accusoft Services Compress API to optimize images for a WordPress website. It provides customizable options to do the following:
- Optimize JPEG compression
- Strip metadata from all JPEGs (except for copyrights)
- Convert between Progressive JPEGs and Sequential JPEGs
- Optimize PNGs
- Optimze GIFs
You will need to register for an Accusoft Services account in order to obtain a free License Key to use the plugin. This is a free account for use up to 1000 compressed images per month. Plans start as low as $5 per month for additional image compressions.
How does it work?
There are three ways you can optimize images using your customized settings:
- Automatically on upload: Automatically optimize every image you add to the Media Library (unless you disable the Use Prizm Image on upload option in Settings > Media).
- Individually: Run existing images through the Prizm Image plugin. In the WordPress Media Library, click the Run Prizm Image link for any image you’d like to optimize.
- By Bulk: Optimize all images in the Media Library. In the Media > Bulk Prizm Image tab, click the Run all my images through Prizm Image right now button. Or, on the Media Library page, choose Bulk Prizm Image from the Bulk Actions drop down menu
Configure the plugin options in the Settings > Media tab as follows:
- Prizm Image License Key
- Enter the License Key you have obtained by registering Prizm Image
- Select quality of reduced images
- Lower Quality – Smaller File Size
- Balanced Quality and File Size (default)
- Higher Quality – Larger File Size
- Remove JPEG metadata
- Select to remove JPEG metadata (except for copyright data) (default)
- Deselect to preserve all metadata
- Select JPEG Mode
- Convert Sequential JPEGs to Progressive JPEGs
- Convert Progressive JPEGs to Sequential JPEGs
- Do not change the JPEG mode (default)
- Use Prizm Image on upload?
- Automatically process on upload (default)
- Do not process on upload
- How many seconds should we wait for a response from Prizm Image?
- Specify the number of seconds to wait (120 seconds is the default setting)
- Enable debug processing
- Select to display additional troubleshooting information
- Deselect to not display additional troubleshooting information (default)
Prizm Image does not accept filenames that contain the character ‘+’.
If a file with a filename containing ‘+’ is attempted to be reduced, then an error will be returned.
Accusoft provides a full spectrum of document, content and imaging solutions.
Contact and Credits
Prizm Image includes a copy of the PEAR JSON library written by Michal Migurski.
The Prizm Image WordPress plugin (not the image compression) was based upon the WP Smush.it plugin.
- Installation Instructions
- Upload the Prizm Image plugin to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress.
- Obtain and configure your License Key.
- Set automatic optimization options in Settings > Media.
Prizm is outstanding and when it was completely free without restrictions it was fantastic. For the money though at the mid level $49 it may for some be better value to us wp smush pro and then you get all the other extras that come with wpmu membership.
I get an error even on clean default wordpress installation with 2 pictures.
I have an account with key and I’ve inserted it in ‘media’ options.
Excelent plug in is doing the job corectly
After 1-2min of site ‘working something’ I get 404 error http://prntscr.com/8oaa55
I don’t know what was happening because there was no progress bar, I do not know also what the 120sec means in ”How many seconds should we wait for a response from Prizm Image?”
Does this got something to do with ”max execution time”?
What are server requirements and what configuration is needed for the plugin to run corectly etc etc.
Please explain all this so I can re-review the plugin.
After having tried WP Smush, Compress JPEG & PNG images and EWWW Image Optimizer, I am totally convinced and impressed by the speed performance and the compression quality (however set at “Higher quality – Larger file size) of Prizm image 🙂 !!
Try it is to adopt it 🙂 !
Well done ! Great work !
I really wish to thanks you for keeping that kind of tool free 🙂 !!
Contributors & Developers
“Prizm Image” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
*Changed license from GPLv3 to MIT
- JPEG files that had a file extension of “.jpeg” were not identified as file types that the plugin could process. Fixed so that these files are processed.
- Provided fix for feature in Chrome browser in which going back to previous screen did not refresh the previous screen.
- Added support for reducing GIF files
- Added a running total of the number of bytes saved
- Improved efficiency by ensuring that unsupported file types are not sent to the Prizm Image service
- Fix checking of License Key
- Updated to use improved and faster Prizm Image API.
- Requires user to register for a License Key in order to use the plugin.
- First edition