When you publish a post or update an already published post, this plugin will
format the post’s content to certain typographic rules:
- All hyphens between two words (surrounded by spaces) will be transformed to
m-dashes with the non-breaking spaces ahead of them.
- All hyphens between digits (without spaces) will be transformed to n-dashes.
But it tries to preserve phone numbers.
- All spaces following these words will be replaced with the non-breaking
Double and more spaces are replaced with the single ones.
All misplaced spaces near dots, colons, semicolons, exclamation
marks and question marks are fixed, where possible.
Composed words with hyphens in them (e.g. “easy-to-use”) will be wrapped in
<pre></pre>tag and its contents are preserved.
The plugin won’t mess with the HTML tags or other mark-up tags delimited
bla bla bla
Though, since version 6 the mess is minimized for [code] and [video] tags.
The n-dash thing will mess up with the phone numbers that have only one
hyphen in them. They will be confused with the value ranges.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in your WordPress Admin section.
Contributors & Developers
“Post Typographer” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.
- Fixed: Contents of
tag aren’t messed up with typographing.
- Fixed: No longer removes backslashes from posts.
- Fixed: Tries not to mess with the files’ extensions (like .txt).
- Added: Tries to remove unneded spaces before colons and semicolons without
messing with the smiles.
- Added: Word ‘by’ included to the list of words for
- Fixed: No longer removes spaces before colons and semicolons – not to mess
with the smiles.
- Fixed: Double (and more) warpping with the tags.
- Fixed: wrapping and some other formatting in the [code] and [video]
- Added: Wrapping the composed words with hyphens with tags.
- Fixed: Nasty double-space bug on post-updating.
- Fixed: M-dash placement didn’t work in version 3.
- Fixed: N-dashes are now placed correctly even if the value ranges are near the
beginning or the end of the text.
- Added: Replaces misplaced spaces near punctuation marks.
- Fixed: Phone numbers and dates are now avoided (except single-hyphen phone
numbers) when the hyphens in the value ranges are transformed into n-dashes.
- Added: Replaces 2 or more spaces with a single space in the text.
- Added: Word ‘my’ included to the list of words for
- The first working version.