The bbPress Add On for Paid Memberships Pro adds a “Require Membership” meta box to the “Edit Forum” page, allowing you to easily toggle the membership level(s) that can access the forum.
Requires bbPress and Paid Memberships Pro installed and activated.
- You must have Paid Memberships Pro and bbPress installed and activated on your site.
Download, Install and Activate!
- Download the latest version of the plugin.
- Unzip the downloaded file to your computer.
- Upload the /pmpro-bbpress/ directory to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory of your site.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
How to Use
- After activation, navigate to the “Edit Forum” page for the forum you would like to restrict.
- Check the box for each level that can access this forum in the “Require Membership” meta box (below the Publish box in the right sidebar).
- Save your changes by clicking the “Update” button (or “Publish” if you are creating a new forum).
- Further settings can be found on the Settings -> Forums page of your admin dashboard.
Shortcode for Member’s Activity
The bbPress Add On includes one shortcode to display a member’s activity (topics or replies created).
Sample shortcode usage:
[bbp-user-activity activity_type=”topic” show_date=”true” title=”My Recent Topics”]
Shortcode attributes include:
* activity_type: Accepts ‘topic’ or ‘reply’. Default is ‘topic’
* bbp_user_id: Accepts any user ID. Omit this attribute to load the current user’s entries. Default is the current_user->ID.
* count: The number of entries to show. Default is ‘5’.
* show_date: Optionally show the entry date. Default is ‘false’.
* show_excerpt: Optionally show a 50-character excerpt of the entry. Default is ‘false’.
* title: An optional title for the shortcode output, wrapped in the h2 class=”widgettitle” format.
Sept 30, 2016 – it works like a charm. Thanks.
Activating the plugin brought my site down. It does not work. I hope a fix is developed soon. Not being able to use bbpress with pmpro is a problem.
Plugin fails to install (500 error).
I emailed PMP about this, and was told I needed bbPress installed and activated to use this plugin. Yeah, I know – and I do, which is why I need this plugin.
But sadly, that was all the support given.
I now have to switch membership plugins, as I need bbPress protection. Considering all the issues reported with this add-on, it’s disappointing to see they’re not addressed and the main plugin still claims bbPress support.
After updating this plugin, it broke my site!! All pages show up blank white.
I’ve recently moved my site from one webhost to the other. Not sure if that’s what did it. All other plugins work fine. After the move I simply updated it and my site broke.
I was updating this plugin from 1.2 to 1.3.
Update: I’ve also noticed that after deleting this plugin, my site runs MUCH FASTER.
USE THIS PLUGIN WITH CAUTION!!!!!! : ( 🙁 :(:(:(
Contributors & Developers
“Paid Memberships Pro – bbPress Add On” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- BUG: Fixed fatal error when bbPress was not activated.
- ENHANCEMENT: When redirecting members away from protected forums, the referring page is now saved in $_SESSION[‘pmpro_bbp_redirected_from’].
- FEATURE: Added new shortcode for member activity (topics or replies).
- FEATURE: Added a membership level setting to set the background color of member topics and replies.
- FEATURE: Added an option to the bbPress settings page to change the error message shown when non-members try to access a member forum.
- FEATURE: Added an option to the bbPress settings page to add “member links” linking to forums a user has access to.
- FEATURE: Added an option to the bbPress settings page to hide member forums from the forums list and search results.
- FEATURE: Added an option to the bbPress settings page to hide forum roles in replies.
- FEATURE: Added an option to the bbPress settings page to show membership level in replies.
- Removed TGM and using different methods to make sure PMPro and bbPress are activated.
- Changed forum check to use template_redirect instead of wp hook.
- Updated TGM Plugin Activation class
- Added the “pmpro_bbp_error_msg” filter so you can change the message shown when users try to access forums they don’t have access to.
- Added bbp_is_single_topic() check to search filter to fix issues where main topic is hidden on single topic pages. (Thans, Spence)
- Updates to name, description, tags. Added link to support and settings on plugins page.
- Fixed fatal error that would come up if Paid Memberships Pro was not active. (Thanks, Karmyn Tyler Cobb)
- BUG: Fixed bug in search filter that would hide member forums/topics from members when more than one level had access to a forum.
- Moved filterqueries code into init function to avoid function not found error.
- pmpro_search_filter now hides restricted forums and topics as well.
- Fixed generation of URLs &noaccess=1. The old URLs could sometimes lead to 404 pages. (Thanks, bfintal on the WordPress.org forums.)
- Initial WP.org release.