NOTE: This plugin is no longer actively developed or supported. If anyone wants to fork it, check out the github repository
WordPress has an excellent, but little known, feature for splitting up long posts into multiple pages. However, a growing trend among major news and blog sites is instead to split up posts into dynamically loading sliders. While there are many slider plugins available for WordPress, none of them quite tackles this functionality. That's where the Paged Post Slider comes in: it takes normal multi-page posts from WordPress and replaces them with an all-ajax slider that requires almost no setup.
What the slider does:
- Replaces WordPress' built-in post pagination funtionality with an ajax-based carousel.
- Uses hash based URLs for easy direct linking to specific slides. This also preserves the functionality of the browser's Back button.
- Automatically adds slide navigation and a slide counter (e.g. '1 of 5') to sliders according to the preferences you set.
- Adds the 'Insert Page Break' button to the TinyMCE post editor so that you can easily split your content into multiple pages/slides.
- Provides an optional stylesheet for (very) basic styling of the slider navigation.
- Optionally allows infinite looping of slides.
- Optionally provides a link to view all slides on a single page.
- Optionally allows for scrolling back to top when each slide loads.
- Degrades gracefully. If the plugin is missing or uninstalled, posts will behave exactly like normal multi-page posts.
See a demo of the slider in action.