Page Specific Sidebars adds a checkbox to every page allowing you to choose which pages should have a unique sidebar.
Once you enable a page-specific sidebar in the page editor, a widget area will automatically be created for that page and you can customize it as you like.
You can also specify whether the plugin replaces your generic sidebar with the page-specific sidebar, or simply adds your page-specific sidebar on to the existing sidebar.
Plugin has no built-in styling does not contain native styles; it’s meant to use the styles of your existing theme.
This is a minimal plugin, placing function over form. If you would like to extend it, or would like us to extend it in later versions, feel free to contact us, or post feedback in this plugin’s support forum.
Simply activate and go. There are a couple filters for customization:
$location = apply_filters( 'page_sidebar_location', 'side' ); $priority = apply_filters( 'page_sidebar_priority', 'high' );
These allow you to change the location and priority of the metabox on the “Edit Page” view.
$home_slug = apply_filters( 'page-sidebar-homeslug', $home_slug )
Use this filter if your home page slug is different from “home” :
NOTE: Any page that has a custom loop pulling in multiple posts will throw this plugin off. For some reason it always outputs the post ID as the last
post output on the page. Also, the homepage is most likely the latest blog posts in WordPress so I created a check. It will get the Home page ID and
use the Home page ID to get its sidebar. (uses is_frontpage() ) to check.
Contact us if you want some more filters or actions added. http://www.ivycat.com/contact
- Add ordering feature? (long down the road).
- Suggest a feature…
You can install from within WordPress using the Plugin/Add New feature, or if you wish to manually install:
- Download the plugin.
- Upload the entire page-sidebars directory to your WordPress plugins folder.
- Click Activate Plugin in your WordPress plugin page.
- Visit the Settings / Page Sidebar Settings page to customize.
- What is the point of this plugin?
Some of our clients need the ability to easily create, and edit sidebars on a per-page basis using widgets. This is our solution, and we hope it helps others too. 🙂
Contributors & Developers
“Simple Page Specific Sidebars” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Bug fixes updated JS & CSS.
- Dropdown selection for sidebar on option page. Now you can re-use existing sidebars on other pages.
- Ability to prepend custom sidebar on default sidebar (previously only append).
- Ability to allow the page to display an existing sidebar rather than create it’s own.
- Updated license to GPL v2, included correct license file.
- File & folder maintenance
- Updated authors, links.
- Added author, updated short description.
- Added sidebar to settings page.
- Documentation editing, housekeeping.
- Added help to settings page.