This plugin will show a list of posts visitors have read after navigating away from the current post.
Based on “Where did they go from here” v1.4.2 by Ajay D’Souza.
- Display related posts according to visitors reading habits automatically in content / feed, no need to edit template files
- Tracks visitors movement along your site
- You can manually add the related posts list where you want them displayed
- Exclude pages from the list of posts
- Display post thumbnails in the list. The plugin has support for WordPress 2.9 thumbnails, use of postmeta and also the ability to grab the first image in the post
- Download the plugin
- Extract the contents of others-also-read.zip to wp-content/plugins/ folder. You should get a folder called others-also-read
- Activate the Plugin in WP-Admin
- Goto Settings > Others read to configure
- What are the requirements for this plugin?
I’ve tested it on WordPress 2.9.2 and 3.0. The plugin it’s based on, “Where did they do from here” works on 2.5+ so this plugin may work on earlier versions.
- Can I customize what is displayed?
All options can be customized within the Options page in WP-Admin itself
You can customise the CSS output. This plugin uses the following CSS classes:
divthat surrounds the list items
othersread_thumbis the class that is used for the thumbnail / post image
othersread_titleis the class that is used for the title / text
othersread_excerptis the class that is used for the excerpt
othersread_creditis the class that is used for the credit, when activated
You can add code to your style.css file of your theme to style the related posts list.
For more information, please visit http://ktulu.com.ar/blog/projects/wordpress/others-also-read
Go to http://ktulu.com.ar/blog/projects/wordpress/others-also-read
Contributors & Developers
“Others also read” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
2.2.1 – 2010-07-03
- Added a donate link
2.2 – 2010-07-02
- Changed the Settings page to make it more “wordpressy”
- Inputs for numbers in the Settings page have now a maximum length
2.1 – 2010-07-01
- bugfix: ‘Blank Output’ option was not working
2.01 – 2010-06-25
- Fixed links to the plugin home page
2.0 – 2010-06-25
- First release of “Others also read”. Based on where-did-they-go-from-here v1.4.2. I’ll leave the other plugin changelog for historical purposes
- Added an option to avoid tracking a user navigation if it’s authenticated
- Changed behaviour: When ‘Blank Output’ is selected, not even the div is printed
- Bugfix: Fixed error when uninstalling plugin (no global wpdb was used)
- Removed all PHP warnings
- Removed sidebar containing links to other plugins from Ajay in settings page.
- The credit shown (if it’s enabled) now shows after the list of posts in a separate span with it’s own css class.
- Changed list title to ‘Others also read’
- Changed behaviour: ‘Show credit’ option is now disabled be default
- Fixed: Languages were not detected properly. Added Italian language
- Fixed: Minor compatibility issue with other plugins
- New: Implementation for tracking hits even on blogs with non-standard WordPress installs
- New: Reset button to reset all browsing data
- New: Option to exclude pages in post list
- New: Choose if you want to blank out display or display a custom message
- New: The plugin extracts the first image in the post and displays that if the post thumbnail and the post-image meta field is missing
- Fixed: Postmeta detection for thumbnails
- Fixed: Compatibility with caching plugins like W3 Total Cache and WP Super Cache
- Some optimisation and code cleaning for better performance
- Fixed problem where plugin was not tracking visits properly
- Added localisation support
- Better support for blogs where wp-content folder has been moved
- Added support for post thumbnails
- Added option to display the post excerpt in the list
- All parts of the list are now wrapped in classes for easy CSS customisation
- Uninstall will clean up the meta tables
- Fixed compatibility issues with WordPress 2.9
- Fixed a bug with posts not being tracked on blogs hosted in a folder
- Compatible with caching plugins. Tweaks that should improve tracking.
- Display the list of posts in Edit pages / posts of WP-Admin
- Blanked out display when no related posts are found instead of #N/A