The Order Categories plugin allows you to easily reorder your categories the way you want via drag and drop.
To install the plugin just follow these simple steps:
- Download the plugin and expand it.
- Copy the ‘order-categories.php’ file into your plugins folder (wp-content/plugins/).
- Login into the WordPress administration area and go to the Plugins page.
- Locate the Order Categories plugin and click on the activate link
- That’s it, now you can go to Manage > Order Categories and reorder the categories the way you want.
- If you use wp_list_categories(), make sure you don’t specify an order (e.g. wp_list_categories(‘orderby=count’);).
- Does this plugin require me to overwrite WordPress core files?
No, there is nothing more you have to do except uploading and activating the plugin.
- Does this plugin allow me to reorder subcategories as well?
Yes it does. You’ll see a ‘more >’ link next to the categories that have subcategories. Click on that link and you’ll be able to reorder those subcategories.
- The Category Order panel seems to work fine but my categories are not reordered on my blog. What’s going on?
Make sure you’re not specifying an order in wp_list_categories() (e.g. wp_list_categories(‘orderby=count’);)
It works perfectly with WordPress 4.7.3. Thank you very much 🙂