Because Internet browsing consumes a lot of energy on a global level, Online Leaf develops methods to reduce the amount of energy required to browse the internet, by making websites greener.
This plugin enables your blog to install a green standby engine on your blog. The engine will automatically activate a dark screen when your visitors are inactive, which darkens the colors and hides animations and effects, so that the monitors do not waste energy generating those and simply because dark colors, on many monitors, require less energy to display than brighter ones.
Online Leaf aims to reduce the overall CO2 emissions from displaying websites, without any loss of visitor experience. You can still use visual effects, animations and heavy graphics to improve your website’s overall quality, since the standby engine does not conflict with any of those (as it is only activated when your visitors are inactive). The only change is that your blog will be a Green Website and help in making the web a much greener place to surf.
The usage of Online Leaf is CO2 neutralized, by acquiring CO2 quotas, which are cleared with the state authorities in EU.
Please read more about CO2 neutralized websites if you are interested.
- Upload the folder
/wp-content/plugins/directory or search for
Add newand click
Installto the right of
- Activate the plugin through the
Pluginsmenu in WordPress
You can also manually install the standby engine by following the instructions on OnlineLeaf.com or OnlineLeaf.com/Advanced/ for more configuration options (might be useful if you manage other websites than WordPress blogs).
- How do I use it on other websites than WordPress?
There are some simple instructions on OnlineLeaf.com/Advanced/, which will guide you through setting up the standby engine on any website.
- How can I help?
If you like developing plugins or anything else, we highly appreciate all the help we can get to extend the project even further, so please don’t hesitate to contact us if you feel like working with us to help the environment.
We also advise you to share it wherever you can, so people get to know about the project more quickly. Digg it, Share it on Facebook, Twit it, give it a good rating here on WordPress.org or even write a blog post about it. Anything is much appreciated.
… and of course, any contribution and donation will be a great help to maintain the servers and keep the development at high speed. To thank you, we also list you as Green Donor along with your website on OnlineLeaf.com/Donate/ and OnlineLeaf.com/Green-Websites/.
- Why are there so few questions?
It is pretty straight forward. You install the plugin and your website instantly becomes green and reduces the energy required to generate it. There is really not much to it.
- I have another question anyway
Contributors & Developers
“Online Leaf” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- OnlineLeaf.com is CO2 neutralized
- Made compatible up to WordPress 2.9
- . Language added (French, short code “fr”)
- . Language added (Vietnamese, short code “vi”)
- Fixed bug with timing option
- . Language added (Indonesian, short code “id”)
- . Language added (Swedish, short code “se”)
- Added changelog
- Configurable timing before standby screen launches
- Language selection added
- . Language added (Danish, short code “da”)
- . Language added (Dutch, short code “nl”)
- . Language added (English, short code “en”)
- . Language added (Italian, short code “it”)
- . Language added (Slovenian, short code “sl”)
- Registers keystrokes as activity
- More efficient and faster loading
- First version of Online Leaf