For professional developers working with WordPress, the first steps in any new build frequently involve deleting default content and turning off built-in settings. This plugin encapsulates many of those tasks on a single, clean configuration screen.
I installed and activated the plugin, now what?
After installing the plugin, navigate to Settings > No Nonsense to choose which built-in WordPress features you want to turn off. Be sure to click Save Changes when you’re done.
Contributors & Developers
“No Nonsense” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
2.2.0 – 2022.06.20
- Added “Remove default block patterns” option. This turns off all of the core block patterns, which may not match your theme, but retains the ability for you to create your own custom block patterns.
- Added “Block Editor” section to admin screen and reorganized all block editor-related options into that section.
- Updated text strings. (Removed somewhat inconsistent use of capitalization for terms such as “block editor,” “block patterns,” and “full site editing.”)
- Removed “(BETA)” label on “Remove comments from front end” option on admin page.
2.1.1 – 2022.05.22
- Fixed Deactivate and delete Hello Dolly plugin utility to handle both a manually installed instance (where Hello Dolly is contained in a
hello-dollyfolder) and the base install instance (where Hello Dolly is a bare
hello.phpfile in the
pluginsfolder). (Opinionated side note: This is yet another argument for why Hello Dolly is a bad example of how to create a plugin, which is ostensibly one of its intended reasons for inclusion in the core installation.)
2.1.0 – 2022.05.19
- Changed success/fail indicator UTF-8 characters in admin notices when running utilities, from check mark and X to “black circle” (colored green, orange or red), because WordPress 6.0 forces conversion of those UTF characters to emoji, which causes them not to render if the “Remove WP emoji” option is turned on!
- Modified utility functions to return true or false depending on whether or not they completed their intended actions, so admin notice “black circle” icons are colored accordingly: green for success; orange if the function ran but did not have an effect; and red for an error.
- Removed action hook to
r34nono_deactivate_and_delete_hello_dolly()because now that this is a utility, rather than a setting that runs on every admin page load, the function would not be firing anyway. The function has been retained in the plugin however and will not be deprecated.
- i18n: Added text domain to “Just another WordPress site” string.
2.0.0 – 2022.05.03
- Added new Utilities section with a set of one-time actions that are frequently part of the new site installation process.
- Moved Deactivate and delete Hello Dolly plugin to Utilities, so it only runs once.
- Minor interface refinements.
1.9.0 – 2022.05.02
- Added BETA Remove comments from front end option. This option uses standard hooks to hide comment output, along with a workaround for a deprecated backwards compatibility file, but it may not completely remove all traces of comments from the front end of your site, depending on its theme structure. Please provide any feedback you have on this functionality in the WordPress Support Forums.
1.8.1 – 2022.05.02
- Added Disallow Full Site Editing option to extend upon Remove “Edit site” link. This option removes the “Edit site” link in the admin bar, the “Editor” link under “Appearance” in the admin menu, the FSE notice in the Customizer, and force-redirects any direct attempts to access the FSE editing screen to the admin dashboard.
1.8.0 – 2022.04.21
- Added Remove “Edit site” link option to suppress the Full Site Editing link in the front-end admin bar on sites that use Block Themes.
- Refactored logic for Remove Comments from admin to properly hide the comment count in the front-end admin bar.
1.7.0 – 2022.04.18
- Added Remove duotone SVG filters option to suppress Block Editor’s duotone filter HTML SVG tags for Safari users.
- Bumped Tested up to to 5.9.3.
184.108.40.206 – 2022.02.28
- Corrected text domain in
1.6.1 – 2022.02.18
- Added Remove admin email check interval option to suppress periodic verification of the admin email address upon login.
220.127.116.11 – 2021.12.27
- Changed hook for Remove front end Edit links to fix an issue that may have prevented edit links from working on the admin side.
1.6.0 – 2021.12.27
- i18n: Numbered all placeholders in
- i18n: Added text domain path
- Removed stray
xmlrpc_enabledfilter in main plugin file.
1.5.1 – 2021.12.22
- Changed optional custom site icon on login screen to use a 16-pixel border radius, to match how the icon is displayed in the Customizer.
1.5.0 – 2021.12.21
- Added Remove front end Edit links option. (Thanks to @ov3rfly for this suggestion and several others.)
- Changed priority on removing comments from admin bar to account for potential activity by other plugins.
R34NoNo::function_details()for less potential confusion on its purpose.
- Changed Remove Posts from admin hook run on
init(with other enclosed hooks as appropriate) and to include removal of New Post option from admin bar.
- For those who really don’t want “Hello Dolly” around, this version now also hides it in the “Add Plugins” search results, via CSS.
- Refactored Remove Howdy to remove greeting before username in all languages.
r34nono_install()function to fix issues with updating version number and resetting deprecated option names.
- Replaced all closures with named callback functions.
- Return HTTP 301 status (instead of
wp_redirect()default 302) on searches when Disable site search is turned on.
- Updated admin page sidebar content.
- Updated plugin description in
1.4.4 – 2021.12.20
- Added “Also prevent access to profile screen” option under Redirect admin to home page for logged-in non-editors. (Thanks to @dcavins for suggesting this change.)
- Fixed issue with Replace WP logo with site icon on login screen CSS when site icon is not set (hotfix).
18.104.22.168 – 2021.12.19
r34nono_remove_head_tags()to hook into
wp_headto ensure that all enclosed hooks are applied in time.
1.4.3 – 2021.12.19
- Added Remove admin color scheme picker.
- Added dynamic sorting of functions alphabetically by title on admin screen, to keep the list organized as the set of options grows.
1.4.2 – 2021.12.19
- Added HTTP 403 status when XML-RPC requests are killed.
- Added logic to remove HTTP response headers for WP Shortlink and REST API.
- Added logic to also remove resource hints from login screen when set for the front end.
- Added “oEmbed Discovery Links” option in Remove head tags.
- Corrected checkbox label “Quick Press” to “Quick Draft” in dashboard widget options.
- Fixed priority on
remove_action()for REST API.
- Modified admin bar logout button to use admin color scheme.
likescolumn from functionality affected by Remove Comments from admin because it is not part of WP core.
if / elseif / else.
- Specified PHP 7.0.0 minimum requirement in readme file.
1.4.1 – 2021.12.18
- Added Remove Posts from admin, Disable site search, and Disallow theme and plugin file editing options.
- Fix: Changed
r34nono_core_upgrade_skip_new_bundledhook type from
1.4.0 – 2021.12.18
NOTE Two options’ function names have changed in this version. The update script should automatically transfer their settings over to their replacements. However, you are encouraged to review your settings after running the update.
- Added Remove head tags, with options to turn off a number of
<link>tags that WordPress inserts by default in the
<head>of every page.
- Changed Remove WordPress logo on login screen to Replace WP logo with site icon on login screen. This will use the designated site icon and change the URL to the site’s home page. If there is no designated site icon, the icon will simply be removed instead.
- Modified Remove Comments from admin functionality to also remove comments (and likes) columns from admin index pages for Posts, Pages and Media Library. (Does not change settings for any custom post types.)
- Modified Disable XML-RPC functionality to add the option to immediately kill incoming XML-RPC requests. Due to the fact that this is a plugin-based solution, you may find it more effective to block access to
xmlrpc.phpdirectly in your site’s
1.3.0 – 2021.12.18
- Added Admin bar logout link option.
- Refactored CSS.
- Fixed link error in sidebar on admin page.
1.2.0 – 2021.12.17
- Added option to deactivate, delete and prevent reinstallation of Hello Dolly plugin.
1.1.1 – 2021.12.15
- Changed all instances of
wp_kses_post()on admin page.
- Removed unnecessary
- New branding assets.
1.1.0 – 2021.12.14
- Initial WordPress Plugin Directory version.
- Added option to deactivate Widgets Block Editor.
- Added option to remove Dashboard widgets, and related functionality to support sub-options on admin page.
- Duplicated Save Changes button at top of form.
- Updated sidebar on admin page.
- Changed donation button to make it less likely to be mistaken for the Save Changes button.
- Fixed links.
- i18n: Added translation strings. (Translation files are not yet present.)
- Updated readme content and tags.
- Added input value filtering on
esc_html()on all variable output on admin page.
- Changed text domain to conform with plugin directory requirements.
1.0.0 – 2021.12.13
- Original version.