I was pretty annoyed with the default tag cloud widget. It does a lot of things wrong, like inconsistent HTML markup and hardcoded font sizes. So I wanted to write my own. Digging through the code I found out that the wordpress
wp_tag_cloud() function is pretty powerful. In fact, it could do almost everyhing I want. So I abandoned my plan to rewrite everything from scratch and added a nice admin interface to my tag cloud widget.
This plugin makes the options for wp_tag_cloud() available to multiple tag cloud widgets and shortcodes. This means that you can easily choose things like custom taxonomies, font sizes, HTML markup and ordering. See the wp_tag_cloud() page for what the normal settings can do.
Additionally, it is possible to sort tags by count and alphabetically at the same time. It is also possible to add a counter to the tags, so that your visitors can see how many posts are associated with each tag. The plugin also adds a sensible CSS class to every tag.
Visit the plugin’s home page to leave comments, ask questions, etc.
Other plugins I wrote
Q: How do I remove the link to the plugin homepage?
A: Please read the settings page, you can disable it there.
0.99.5 ( 2010-12-10 )
- Fix a few small bugs, update docs
0.99.4 ( 2010-11-12 )
- Bugfix for custom taxonomies, thanks to all who reported this!
0.99.3 ( 2010-07-25 )
- Minor bugfix
- Update italian translation
0.99.2 ( 2010-07-14 )
- Update docs
0.99 ( 2010-07-13 )
- Support custom taxonomies (only for WordPress >= 3.0)
- Add multi-widget support
0.11.2 ( 2010-05-24 )
- Make it possible to hide the widget header markup when there is no header text.
0.11.1 ( 2010-05-18 )
- Make it possible to hide the last separator as suggested by Scott.
0.11.0 ( 2010-05-17 )
- Add the nofollow attribute as a configurable option.
- Add dutch translation.
0.10.0.3 ( 2010-05-13 )
- Update the documentation.
0.10.0.2 ( 2010-03-09 )
- Rename function to avoid potential conflicts.
0.10.0.1 ( 2010-02-01 )
- Bugfix for minimum tag count, thanks to Muad for reporting this.
0.10.0 ( 2010-01-19 )
- Modify the shortcode so that it can display a single post’s tags.
- Use parameters for all function calls to make them more usable for theme developers.
- Add the possibility to display the tags of a specific post outside the loop. This can be used in the sidebar for example.
0.9.0.1 ( 2010-01-15 )
- I ♡ the wordpress plugin versioning system through plugin.php readme.txt svn tag… I really need to script around that…
0.9.0 ( 2010-01-15 )
- Fix for when WordPress is installed into a subdirectory. Thanks Martin!
- Add belorusian translation sponsored by FatCow, thanks! Update various others.
- Clean up counter and separator markup, thanks Carolin!
- Really add the new CSS file, thanks Roman!
- Update italian translation.
- Bugfix, thanks Steve!
- Add colored CSS style.
- Add french translation by Lise, thank you!
- Add a first FAQ entry.
- Add danish translation by Georg S. Adamsen.
- Make widget title translatable.
- Bugfix for missing category links.
- Hopefully fix all invalid HTML markup.
- Add the option to put a separator string between tags.
- Small fixes, optimizations and updates.
- Add minimum count required to show a tag, thanks to Kaspars for the suggestion.
- Add CSS class to every tag in the cloud: class=”nktagcloud-$tagsize”. $tagsize is something between the configured values for biggest and smallest font size.
- Add icon by famfamfam to the Admin Drop Down Menu.
- Move CSS files.
- Fix version number
- Fix bug for new installs where parts of the plugin options get deleted. Before, a plugin reset was necessary after the first install.
- Bugfix, put shortcode in the right place on the page
- Add admin styles + info
- Update german translation
- Add italian translation, thanks to Gianni!
- Bugfix, thanks to cornel.
- Fix invalid HTML in admin
- Add german translation by Nicolas Kuttler
- Sorry for releasing 0.8.0alpha-1, it was intended as a (pretty stable) development version.
- Add a shortcode. It is possible to insert a tag cloud into any page or post.
- Major rewrite
- Made code more efficient
- Better code documentation
- Improved admin security
- The categories can be included in the tag cloud.
- Make it possible to have the tag count outside of the tag hyperlink. Requested by Maya.
- Fix URL typo.
- Fix bad upgrade bug that deletes settings.
- Make font sizes text input fields for post decimal positions. This was suggested by Triton Bloom as well.
- Admin CSS update.
- Add include parameter as well.
- Make the exclude parameter work.
- Use new changelog format.
- Fix some typos.
- Rewrote the settings form and added an option to enable/disable tag link underlining.
- Add post count feature. Thanks to Triton Bloom for the suggestion.
- Add sorting by count and name at the same time feature.
- Moved the configuration to a settings page.
- Better description.
- Add regexp for putting multi-word tags on one line, thanks to Augen for suggesting this.
- CSS fix, doc and other minor minor updates.
- Compatibility tests
- Another bugfix.
- Bugfix, thanks to The Local Landing.
- Add default CSS style for the list format.
- Doc updates, fix typo.