Mobile Smart (http://www.mobile-smart.co.uk/), using trusty detection from the MobileESP project (http://www.mobileesp.com) allows the following:
- Switch your theme to a mobile-ready theme if a mobile device is detected (you can now enable/disable iPad/tablets)
- Manual Switcher - to allow your user to manually switch between desktop and mobile versions. Available in 3 versions: widget, option to automatically insert into footer, or template tag.
- Template functions to help determine which tier of mobile device (touch/smartphone/other) is viewing your site, to allow conditional content inclusion.
- Adds device and tier specific CSS selectors to the body_class, to allow conditional CSS (e.g. so in the same way you have ".single" that you can target ".iphone" or ".mobile-tier-touch".)
- Image transcoding - rescale images to fit their device
See the Frequently Asked Questions for guidance on how to use the plugin.
Device support includes iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone 6 & 7, Symbian, and many more.
Mobile Smart Pro
Check out the Mobile Smart Pro plugin http://www.mobile-smart.co.uk/mobile-smart-pro for support for:
- Domain switching - use a mobile theme to detect mobile devices, and/or redirect to appropriate theme URL (e.g. m.yoursite.com)
- Mobile Pages - mobile versions of posts and pages with the same URL
- Mobile Menus - mobile versions of menus for mobile-specific navigation
- Mobile Widgets - disable selected widgets when viewing your site on your mobile device
- Mobile Plugins - disable selected plugins when viewing your site on your mobile device
- Mobile Home Page - select a different page to be the mobile site's home page
Want to contribute to the project? Checkout the GitHub project at http://www.github.com/dansmart/mobile-smart
Mobile Smart comes with a basic barebones ('boilerplate') theme that can be used by theme developers to develop for mobile devices.
The Mobile Smart boilerplate theme is based on two projects: http://html5boilerplate.com/mobile/ and http://html5reset.org/#wordpress
with some additional Mobile Smart modifications.
Note: The theme is not designed to be used without developer modification.