MaxButtons is one of the most used WordPress button, social share and social icon plugins. Use it to create great-looking CSS3 WordPress buttons on any post or page on your site. Our button editor makes it a snap to generate awesome responsive buttons in very little time. The social share and social icon features allow you to use or modify prebuilt social share and social icons to your delight.
MaxButtons WordPress button plugin has been going strong for over 4 years and was the first button plugin for WordPress. We regularly update and upgrade MaxButtons and MaxButtons Pro plus give terrific, timely support. We take pride in MaxButtons having earned over 450 5 star reviews and over 1.2 million downloads. Here are couple of our favorites.
“The best plugin of its kind” – by celito
“This plugin makes creating buttons sooooo easy.” – by ncrocker202
“Easy, clear, and robust. I’m a programmer and can write CSS till the cows come home, but why? Just get it, install it and use it. Then, when you’re impressed, buy the pro version” – by jleahy
- WordPress installed
- PHP 5.3
- Create WordPress Buttons
- Getting Social Icons on your WordPress site.
- Social Share on your WordPress site.
- What is a CSS3 Button Generator?
- WordPress button library and button sets can make my designers and developers more productive.
- No coding, the plugin takes care of everything
- Includes 5 beautiful, configurable Social Share sets
- Button shortcodes for ease of use
- Create unlimited number of buttons
- Live preview window instantly updated as you customize your buttons
- Color picker for unlimited color combinations
- Works with all modern browsers, degrades gracefully for others
- Fully CSS3 compliant with text shadowing, box shadowing, gradients, etc.
- Copy an existing button to use as starting point for others
- See your buttons on different color backgrounds
- Predefined defaults make getting started super easy
- SiteOrigin Page Builder integration through the SiteOrigin Widget Bundle
- Supports Shortcake plugin to see your buttons in your editor!
MaxButtons includes WordPress Social Share capabilities to let your users show their appreciation for your great content by promoting it through their social networks. MaxButtons ships with a starter set total of 5 beautifully designed social share sets for the following social networks:
Use our sets as is or modify them as you would like with our button editor to get just the look and feel you want.
In addition to promoting your content through MaxButtons social share functions. You can also use or modify our social share icons to promote your social network profiles. Simply select a social icon or make a button, include the link to your profile and post the button shortcode on your page. Social icons are easy with MaxButtons!
Take your buttons to the next level with MaxButtons Pro!
Our premium WordPress plugin for buttons, social share and social icons brings you the best WordPress button plugin through continuous feature updating. Upgrading to the Pro version allows you to add icons and images to your custom WordPress buttons. The Pro features allow you to do so much more!
- Icon Support – Add icons to your buttons and customize placement and size.
- Multi-line text – Add a second line of text and stylize with font, size and placement.
- Google Fonts – We have included the entire set to help your buttons stand out with beautiful typography.
- Button Packs – Ready to use, value priced button sets that make any site good great.
- Google Analytics Event Tracking for WordPress Buttons. The best way to see you users’ interactions with buttons in Google Analytics. No coding needed.
- Import/Export – Useful for backing up and/or moving your buttons. Also, use any of the great free icons listed on our site.
- Button Search – for easier management of large button sets.
- Font Awesome – easiest WordPress integration
- Visual Composer – Integrated with Visual Composer
- Contact Form 7 Integration
- Beaver Builder Integration
- Easy Digital Downloads Purchase and Checkout Button Integration
MaxButtons Pro includes 17 beautifully designed social share sets plus you can use the advanced functions to design and configure social buttons and icons.
WordPress Button Sets
In addition to the Basic Buttons and free button packs included with MaxButtons Pro you can also purchase additional professionally designed, production ready button packs from the largest WordPress button library in existence. The library features more than 5,000 buttons. It is the largest WordPress button library in the known universe.
WordPress button sets make designers and developers much more productive.
You can add free icons when you create your buttons with MaxButtons Pro so we’ve built one of the largest libraries to inspire you and make your buttons really stand out.
- Click the MaxButtons page from the admin menu.
- Click the Add New button.
- Create and customize your button using the button editor.
- Fill out and select the options needed to build your button.
- Once you’re ready, click Save.
- A button shortcode will be generated (ex: [maxbutton id=”17″] or [maxbutton name=”My Button Name”]).
- Use the shortcode anywhere in your content and the button will appear.
You can also pass the button text and URL as parameters in the button shortcode, giving you even greater flexibility. For example, if you want to create a set of buttons that look exactly the same, except for the text and URL, you could do something like this:
[maxbutton id=”17″ text=”Search Google” url=”http://google.com”]
[maxbutton name=”MaxButtons Button Name” text=”Search Yahoo” url=”http://yahoo.com”]
Another parameter you can give the shortcode is window, which tells the button whether or not to open the URL in a new window (by default the button opens the URL in the current window). To do so you always give the window parameter the value “new”, shown below. Anything else will open the button URL in the current window.
[maxbutton id=”17″ window=”new”]
You can also use the nofollow parameter, which will add a rel=”nofollow” attribute to the button when set to true, as shown below (the default is false):
[maxbutton id=”17″ nofollow=”true”]
NOTE: Passing parameters to the shortcode overrides those settings saved as part of the button.
We work hard to give timely support during the week. And we give support when we’re on during the weekend.
MaxButtons. Bringing the #buttonlove!
- Installation Instructions
For automatic installation:
- Login to your website and go to the Plugins section of your admin panel.
- Click the Add New button.
- Under Install Plugins, click the Upload link.
- Select the plugin zip file from your computer then click the Install Now button.
- You should see a message stating that the plugin was installed successfully.
- Click the Activate Plugin link.
For manual installation:
- You should have access to the server where WordPress is installed. If you don’t, see your system administrator.
- Copy the plugin zip file up to your server and unzip it somewhere on the file system.
- Copy the “maxbuttons” folder into the /wp-content/plugins directory of your WordPress installation.
- Login to your website and go to the Plugins section of your admin panel.
- Look for “MaxButtons” and click Activate.
- Do I have to copy a button if I want to have a different text or link?
No. The shortcode enables you to change various items on the button including the text and link. It’s better to create a single button and reuse it.
To change text and link :
[maxbutton id=”1″ text=”yourtext” url=”http://yoururl”]
If you only want to change one of the two, just leave the not needed option out.
All possible options:
[maxbutton id=”1″ text=”yourtext” url=”http://yoururl” window=”new” nofollow=”true”]
You should never copy buttons if you only have a different line of text and / or link on any button.
- How do I use the shortcode in a sidebar/widget?
Simply add the button shortcode to your widget (ex: [maxbutton id=”17″] or [maxbutton name=”MaxButtons Button Name”]). If the styling is missing on the widget, try to check the ‘use important’ checkbox under ‘advanced’ settings.
- How can I add the shortcode to my post/page template?
Simply add this code snippet to any of your theme template files:
- Can’t see styling on the frontpage
Sometimes the button styling doesn’t load on the frontpage. There are usually two major reasons:
- Theme doesn’t have proper footer, check if wp_footer() is called in the theme
- Using MaxButtons with sliders, dynamic page loaders (such a parallax and one-page themes ) or caching mechanisms.
First ensure you have cleared all your caches. Then you can try to add the following to your shortcode: [maxbutton id=1 style=”inline”] ( replace the ID with the number of your button ).
- TablePress and MaxButtons
TablePress uses a caching mechanism which prevents the MaxButtons style design from functioning. To solve this problem, simply add the caching option to the shortcode like this:
[table id=123 cache_table_output=false]. See this support topic on TablePress.
A solution which will keep the cache enabled is to use this in your shortcode: [maxbutton id=1 style=”inline”] . Flush the TablePress cache after adding this.
- Part of my button is cutoff, how do I fix that?
Try enabling the container and setting its margin options. You could also fix this manually by surrounding your button shortcode with a div element with margins. For example:
<div style="margin: 10px 10px 10px 10px;"> <?php echo do_shortcode('[maxbutton id="17"]'); ?> <?php echo do_shortcode('[maxbutton name="MaxButtons Button Name"]'); ?> </div>
Then adjust the margin values as needed (the order is: top, right, bottom, left).
- How do I center the button on a page?
Enable the “Wrap with Center Div” option in the Container settings.
- How do I align multiple buttons next to each other?
Enable the container option and set the alignment property to either “display: inline-block” or “float: left”. You might also want to add some margin values to put some spacing between your buttons. If that doesn’t work, try using a simple HTML table:
<table> <tr> <td>[maxbutton id="1"]</td> <td>[maxbutton id="2"]</td> <td>[maxbutton id="3"]</td> </tr> </table>
- How do I display a MaxButton in a WordPress menu?
By default WordPress can’t display shortcodes in a menu. You can use this plugin to allow shortcodes in a menu. Just copy the MaxButton shortcode in the menu after installing
- How do I display a MaxButton in a slider?
This depends on the slider plugin you are using. Most of the well-known ones are allowing the use of shortcodes within the slides. To find out if your plugin can handle that, please ask the slider vendor.
a nice tool
This one is excellent. Really easy to set up, all worked great.
Will go to PRO probably… 🙂
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
I created a beautiful button in less than 15 minutes using MaxButtons! It was pretty self-explanatory even for a person that’s not super-techy.
Contributors & Developers
“WordPress Button Plugin MaxButtons” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed bug where scrollbar didn’t show in Add Button dialog
- Extra check for multi-byte string support
- Button load data hook added
- Fixed – Add button dialog showing scrollbars without need in certain cases
- Fixed – Minor notice in Social share when buttons are not in database
- New option for better accuracy of preview if site theme runs ‘border-box’
- Fixed Install class to check and create Social share transient table
- Added check for SimpleXML module
- New setting to solve FontAwesome conflict
- Updated settings page
- Fixed small layout issue in responsive section
- Updated copy warning to be even more clear
- Added shortcode options to FAQ
- Fixed error message on action buttons.
- Enter on text fields now moves to the next field
- Fixed bug that could trigger action buttons in editor when using enter button
- Updated Copy / Trash / Delete interfaces
- Fixed issue with refresh page warning when removing buttons
- Fixed Social Share Facebook count
- Fixed lower save button not working in social share
- Fixed layout issue in Social Share
- Removed holiday sale
- Shortcode options in add button dialog
- Fixed crash when running PHP 7.1.0
- Fixed color issue with preview color running one click behind
- Fixed issue with hover gradients, when gradients are off
- Fixed text shadow issue in CSS output
- Tested for WP 4.7
- Improved copy colors
- Fixed several smaller bugs in responsive
- Fixed smaller layout issues ( consistency )
- Upgraded SCSSPHP parser to 0.40
- Fixed ‘undefined variable’ in responsive
- Button height in responsive settings
- Fixed responsive bug regarding hiding option
- Responsive settings updated
- Add Button Dialog updated (more clear)
- Colorpicker slightly bigger
- Improved tab index on button editor.
- Fixed Copy Color button position in Chrome
- Fixed minor CSS issues
- Gradient background color option can be switched on and off
- New material switches to replace the checkboxes
- Copy colors feature added
- Fixed several small issues with the color picker
- Updated Features page
- Improved visibility of the color picker
- Fixed possible rendering issue with Box Shadow
- Fixed: in rare case the button could overlay the action buttons in the overview
- Several updates to the Color Picker
- Box Shadow spread option added
- Fixed conflict with important and box shadow setting
- Version 6 milestone
- Fixed small styling issue in header
- Updated link in plugin
- Fixed several notices when creating new buttons
- Buttons will now always have ‘pointer’ cursor
- Replaced color picker with WordPress default color picker
- Border radius can be locked to change all sides at onces.
- Cleanup of JS functions.
- Improvements to layout for small and mobile views
- Optimizations to modal on resizing
- Social icons for Eyeem added
- Fixed issue with background when using gradients
- Collection name is shown in button overview when button is in collection
- Database checks and failovers improved
- Several small updates to styling and layout
- Fixed display issue showing pack name / description when empty
- Greatly improved modal layouts
- Fixed – Social Share : non-existing buttons will not show.
- Child-spans now inherit background settings from parent anchor
- Fixed – Social Share remove button visible again
- Fixed – Social Share button without attached network no longer open as popup by default.
- Fixed – Custom Media Queries disabled after saving
- Description field can now be hidden via settings
- Various layout optimizations
- Tested for version 4.6
- Fixed omission in button clear function causing not to clear fully
- Fixed typo in Social Share shortcode
- Fixed social share bug, not correctly removing counts in certain situations
- Fixed social share icons not having cursor pointer
- Fixed Text Shadow bug with buttons having only shadow top set.
- Inline loading of social share collections
- Updated Social Share welcome message
- Updated Readme text
- Tested for WP 4.5.3
- Fixed CSS in review notice
- Fixed title issue with support topic titles
- Fixed small outlining issues in button editor
- Colorpicker code enhanced
- Updated container options interface
- Increased performance for shortcode when having an URL in shortcode.
- Fixed bug Border Shadow not showing when blur is zero.
- Fixed bug Text Shadow not showing when blur is zero.
- Fixed issue Text not displaying in preview when button was saved without text
- Fixed version check to enhance database upgrades
- Fixed Add buttons dialog in Beaver Builder
- Extra check for social sharing not to load on WP login pages
- Better pagination and display on Add Button dialog
- Fixed certain Social Share default values .
- Made number fields slightly larger
- Tested up to 4.5.2
- New button editor interface
- Removed maximum length of text fields
- Fixed: Removal of social sharing collections
- Improved social share picker
- Fixed Window resize bug in popups
- Fixed Array Bug in Social block