Allows users to easily display lists of files in their pages and posts. Supply the folder and various options and you can generate a list of files with hyperlinks to each file making it downloadable. Extensive options let you sort and filter files. You can include file size, date, and even an icon as part of the file list. You can even display lists of MP3s in popular audio players. The plugin admin pages also allow you to conveniently upload and delete files. This is a easy way for organizations, groups, and clubs to share files with members. For example, Home Owner Associations have used this plugin to list their minutes. Music websites use this plugin to allow their users to show off their music.
There are many people who have suggested features for List Yo’ Files. Special consideration needs to be made to the following people who had an active role in contributing by providing a detailed design, monetary sponsorship, or offering to test and provide useful feedback:
- Underground Music Nation for supporting the User Folders and MP3 Player Integration features.
- MKKH Marketing and Matthew Hart for excellent testing on the User Folders upload and delete features.
- Christ Church of Conroe and Ron Frasier for good testing on the upload feature.
- Peter Liu for UTF-8 encoding suggestions.
- Eli Webster for suggestions on detecting icon files.
- Li-An for the French translation.
- Matthew Mower for his suggestions on CSS styling.
This file is part of List Yo’ Files.
List Yo’ Files is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
List Yo’ Files is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
See the license at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.
- What’s the secret code for displaying a list of files in my pages or posts?
To use, add the List Yo’ Files shortcode (“listyofiles”) enclosed in brackets to the text of your page or post and specify the folder name with the “folder” directive. For example: [listyofiles folder=”wp-content/gallery/my-new-gallery”] The plugin will then generate a list of files with a link to each so that every file is downloadable. If you’ve enabled User Folders, non-admin users will have access to express shortcodes that allow them to display files with just a little typing. See the plugin Usage page for extensive instructions.
- Is it possible to sort files, or restrict certain files from being displayed?
It sure is. To sort files, use the “sort” option. To only display certain file types, use the “filter” option. See the plugin Usage page for extensive instructions.
- How do I style the file table elements?
Have a look at the ‘lyf_table_styles.css’ file in the ‘css’ folder. This file defines the styles that will be used when defining tables. You can edit that file to your specification and then check the “Use table stylesheet” checkbox in the Administer area.
- The file icon that I want to display isn’t available. What can I do?
You can upload a 16×16 png file for the file type that you’d like to support. The name of the file needs to match the extension that you want to display. All letters should be lowercase. For example, if you want to provide an icon for mp3 files, you would need to upload a file called “mp3.png” to the List Yo’ Files plugin’s “icons” folder.
If you want to share a single icon across many different file types, then, for now, you need to duplicate each png file for each extension that you want to support.
- How can I fix this error: Warning: strpos() [function.strpos]: Empty delimiter. in /home/……/wp-includes/compat.php on line 55
You are likely running version 4.x of PHP. Contact your hosting company to upgrade you to 5.x. For more information, go here.
- Why are my users getting the message “Failed to upload. Contact your admin about enabling your user folder.” when uploading on the front end?
Log in as admin to your WordPress site and ensure that the “Enable User Folders” checkbox is checked. Without this option set, List Yo’ Files doesn’t know where to put the user’s files.
- I would like to help localize List Yo’ Files. How should I start?
Assuming you’re familiar with localizing in WordPress, you simply need to go to the ‘lang’ file of the plugin and use the list-yo-files.pot file to see the strings that need to be translated into your language.
- How do I make suggestions or report bugs for this plugin?
Just go to http://www.wandererllc.com/company/plugins/listyofiles/ and follow the instructions.
one of the most useful plug ins
really great simnple method of document management
and displaying any types of files
hope it gets supported again and updated
Contributors & Developers
“List Yo' Files Pro” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.
Interested in development?
- French version available.
- File tables now use style sheets. You can turn it off and on in the Administer page.
- Updated URL generation to handle UTF-8 paths.
- Bug fix for checking for existence of file icons.
- Added a Q&A to the FAQ, and fixed a mistake in the usage guide.
- Added a shortcode error message
- Suppressing warnings on opendir()
- Added some CSS placeholders for files in unordered list tags
- Prep for localization
- Using a different method for folder iteration to remove potential warnings when folder permissions aren’t maxed out at 777.
- Added width alignment on icon column for table lists.
- Added a menu icon.
- Delete folder (user folders feature) bug fixed.
- Bug fix for user folders when no folder size restrictions were in place.
- Some minor cleanup.
- Added the concept of “User Folders”, which is useful for sites that have members who want to manage their own set of files. This is an extensive feature which enables new, simplified UI for non-admin users.
- Added support for displaying lists of mp3s in popular audio players.
- Improved the UI.
- Fixed the “icon” feature to be turned off by default.
- Icon extensions are now case insensitive.
- Using a method that does not generate a warning when a file cannot be loaded.
- Added icons for mp3, htm, and html.
- Added an “icon” feature which adds icons to file lists which are based on the “table” option. Includes a small set of 16×16 icons. Users can add their own icon files by uploading to the plugin’s ‘icon’ folder a .png file with the file name matching the extension of the file you want to provide an icon for. For example: “mp3.png”, “pdf.png”, etc.
- Bug fix: Upload UI supports uploading 10 files at once.
- Added a “sort” option for sorting files.
- Added a “filter” option for filtering files based on file extension.
- Added an “options” option for supporting special options in your list like tables and extra fields.
- Upload feature is available to Authors and up. Delete feature is available to Editors and up.
- Each file list now has a unique ID.
- Leaving “folder” argument undeclared now produces a text warning instead of listing the WordPress root folder.