List Drafts is a simple sidebar widget which outputs a list of the titles of all posts currently saved as drafts. Users can set the title of the widget, and add a label to be used for all untitled drafts.
You can now have a list of forthcoming items as a “teaser” for your readers, or as a reminder to authors that they really need to finish those posts they started. It will probably not be of interest to many people, but I like it.
This version has been refactored to use the new plugins API introduced in WordPress 2.8
- Upload the ‘list-drafts-widget’ folder to your ‘/wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Add the widget to your sidebar or other widget-enabled area in the usual way. 4. (Optional) Change the title and the text used for any untitled drafts – the default values are “Coming Soon” and “An untitled post”
- Does this have to be in the sidebar?
This is a pure widget, so it can only be used in a sidebar or other widget-enabled area of your theme.
My older List Draft Posts plugin allows you to insert the list of drafts without resort to widgets. Please note that I won’t be developing that plugin any more.
- Can it do this or that?
Err, maybe. But that would be a job for a better coder. Anyone who wants to make their own version is more than welcome to do so.
Contributors & Developers
“List Drafts Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Minor edits, confirming compatibility with WordPress 4.0
- Bugfix: As menu items are a special kind of post, and can have a status of “Draft”, under some circumstances these would be picked up as untitled posts by the widget. This version now checks for ‘post_type’ being “post”, which will prevent this behaviour.
- Changed default widget title to “Coming Soon”
- Re-written to use the new Widget API introduced with WordPress 2.8. Otherwise unchanged.
- First released version