I developed this little plugin as learning tool for delving into WordPress v2.5’s new shortcodes functionality, along with getting AJAX to work on the administration pages for a better interface. (If anything it is a great learning tool for anyone wanting to write a plugin.)
This plugin allows for any number of phrases to be used in a random manner about your website. Simply install and input your phrases in the option page and place your tags.
* Multiple random lists
* Ability to choose a specific phrase by id
The plugin can be called via three methods, two are for themes, and the third is for within a post/page’s content.
<?php jqs_random(); ?> <?php jqs_get_random(); ?>
Both functions take one attribute $options which is an array that may contain any of the following boolean values:
"stripwhitespace" => 0, "addslashes" => 0, "htmlspecialchars" => 0
For inclusion within a post or page, use the new Shortcode;
and once again any of the three attributes can be added:
[jqs-random stripwhitespace="0" addslashes="0" htmlspecialchars="0"]
The three attributes are modifiers to the output so that you can always put the data where you want:
- stripwhitespace — will replace all spaces with underscores.
- addslashes — will return data after it is passed thru PHP’s addslashes() function.
- htmlspecialchars — will return data after is is pass thru PHP’s htmlspecialchars() function.
- Upload files to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory preserving the sub-folder structure.
- Activate the plugin via the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Add tags to your theme, posts and pages.