Grants or denies access to a list of IP addresses.
Unauthorized IP addresses will get a 403 Forbidden HTTP header.
The error message is customizable and can contain HTML.
Blocked IP addresses can be logged.
IP addresses to be filtered can be typed in a text zone. Here is a list of what you can put in this text zone:
- Free format, you are not limited to put one IP address per line
- Comments are allowed and will be ignored by IP Filter, but they should not contain IP addresses and the “*” character
- IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are allowed
- Wildcard character “*” is accepted for IPv4 but it must represent a complete field. IP addresses without wildcard can’t be truncated. Examples:
- Correct: 10.20.30.40
- Correct: 10.20.*.40
- Correct: 10.*.*.*
- Correct: 10.*
- Correct: *.20
- Correct: *
- Incorrect: 10.2*
- Incorrect: 10.20
- Incorrect: 10.2*.30.40
Be careful about the following points:
- If you choose the “deny” filter type and you add your IP to the deny list, you will loose access to your website
- If you choose the “grant” filter type and you do not add your IP to the list, you will loose access to your website
- If you add the “*” filter, nobody will be able to access to your website
This plugin requires PHP 5 and WordPress 3.x
Just extract the plugin directory into your wp-content/plugins directory.
- I blocked myself! What can I do?
- In case you did the mistake to block yourself from your blog, you still can get access your administration panel by going to the “/wp-admin/” URL
- Additionnally, the filter can be bypassed by adding the “ipfilter_bypass” parameter to the URL (eg: http://www.myblog.com/?ipfilter_bypass)
- Can I put some HTML into the custom message?
Yes. But why bother if you just want to block those annoying visitors? You’d better save bandwidth.
- Can I add IP ranges instead of complete IP addresses?
You can use the wildcard character “*”. It is planned to add a mode that use regular expressions, but without any ETA.
- Why isn’t IP Filter translated in my language?
Most probably because nobody submitted a translation for your language yet. But you can help.
Read our guide for plugins translators at http://www.gabsoftware.com/tips/a-guide-for-wordpress-plugins-translators-gettext-poedit-locale/
Contributors & Developers
“IP Filter” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- The message shown to filtered visitors can now include HTML code
- The message shown to filtered visitors can now contain HTML special characters such as quotes, double quotes, etc.
- The bypass URL parameter can be customized and disabled as well
- Now use wp_die instead of die
- Added possibility to use the wildcard character “*”
- It is now possible to purge the log file in the settings page
- Code cleaning and simplification
- Added a zone that displays the IP addresses extracted from your input
- Added log options
- Initial release