Беларуская (Belarusian), বাংলা (Bengali), Català (Catalan), Česky (Czech), Dansk (Danish), Deutsch (German), Ελληνική monotone (monotone greek), Ελληνική polytone (polytone greek), British English (British English), American English (American English), Esperanto (Esperanto), Español (Spanish), Eesti (Estonian), Suomi (Finnish), Français (French), Ελληνική ancient (ancient greek), ગુજરાતી (Gujarati), हिंदी (Hindi), Magyar (Hungarian), Հայերեն լեզու (Armenian), Italiano (Italian), ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada), Latina (Latin), Lietuvių (Lithuanian), latviešu valoda (Latvian), മലയാളം (Malayalam), Nederlands (Dutch), Norsk (Norwegian), ଓଡ଼ିଆ (Oriya), ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (Punjabi), Polski (Polish), Português (Portuguese), Român (Romanian), Pyccĸий (Russian), Slovenčina (Slovak), Slovenščina (Slovenian), Српска ћирилица (Serbian, Cyrillic), Српски (Serbian, Latin script), Svenska (Swedish), தமிழ் (Tamil), తెలుగు (Telugu), Türkçe (Turkish), Українська (Ukrainian)
This plugin includes Hyphenator.js into your blog for inserting separators automatically. The user settings backend available in English, German, Romanian and Polish is easy to understand and everything could be configured there.
- automatically hyphenates texts on websites if either the webdeveloper has included the script on the website or you use it as a bookmarklet on any site.
- automatically breaks URLs on any browser that supports the zero width space.
- runs on the client in order that the HTML source of the website may be served clean and svelte and that it can respond to text resizings by the user.
- has a documented API and is highly configurable to meet your needs.
- supports a wide range of languages.
- relies on Franklin M. Liangs hyphenation algorithm (PDF) commonly known from LaTeX and OpenOffice.
- is free software licensed under LGPL v3 with additional permission to distribute non-source (e.g., minimized or compacted) forms of that code (see source code header for details).
- provides services for customizing, merging and packing script and patterns.
- supports CSS3-hyphenation
Visit the project homepage for more about. There you also find the documentation for all options.
You can see a working example of Hyphenator.js here.
- Web Geek Science (Web Hosting Geeks) for the Romanian translation
- Plugin licensed under GPLv3: Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Benedict B. alias e2b
- Hyphenator.js licensed under LGPLv3: Copyright (C) 2011 Mathias Nater, Zürich
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
Some patterns in the pattern files have different licenses specified in the pattern files.
- Unzip and upload the archive to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Configure it through the new menu item ‘Hyphenator’ in ‘Settings’
- Supported Browsers
- Mozilla Firefox 3+
- Google Chrome 1+
- Opera 7.1+
- Internet Explorer 6+
- Apple Safari 2+
- Konqueror 3.5+
- Shouldn’t hyphenation be done on the server side?
There are some arguments against client side hyphenation – true. It costs a lot of computing time and the patterns have to be loaded for each language, everytime. But I believe that hyphenation belongs to the client:
- Only the client «knows» where to break a line (and if at all).
- A html file that has been hyphenated on the server would be full of ­’s. That’s ugly and nobody knows how that would be treated by search engines…
- Hyphenation on the client can be turned off to work around copy&paste- and search-bugs in most browsers.
- there are billions of mostly underworked clients vs. millions of often overloaded servers.
- Hyphenator breaks the search functionality of my browser
Your browser has a bug (currently, only Firefox3 finds hyphenated words). So I don’t want/can’t fix this in Hyphenator.js. The only thing we can do is to turn hyphenation off before searching.
- When I copy/paste hyphenated texts from a website, spaces/hyphens are inserted in almost all words
This is fixed since version 3.0.0.
- How about Accessibility?
Some screen readers have issues with words that contain soft hyphens (they read syllables instead of words). Please note that this is not an issue of Hyphenator but a bug in the screen reader. Please contact the makers of the screen reader application.
- Why shows my WordPress no update to 22.214.171.124?
- Reason: I have relaunched the version numeration for Hyphenator version 1.0.0 so that it answers to the new version of the Hyphenator.js project. The downside is people using the previous version won’t be notified due to the new versions 1.0.0 and 126.96.36.199. Sorry, I fizzled it.
- Solution: Try to install the new version manually. Maybe you have to delete the existing installation of Hyphenator first. An other option is to go to ‘Edit’ in ‘Plugins’ in WordPress, select ‘Hyphenator’ and alter the version number into a minor one, 0.1 should work. Save and then WordPress will show you an Update for ‘Hyphenator’ you can install. Done.
The thesis is not only mind stimulating, but also a great achievement in philosophy. Thank You Frank, I love you.
Used it today for the first time – it does what is expected, but changed ALL list view auto excerpts of my blog to include the post title, so the title showed up twice. I had to fill in all excerpts manually instead, which I did not intend to do.
I could not change this behaviour back by uninstalling the plugin – it seems to leave quite a lot of traces in the database, since the hyphanations and plugin settings stayed as well when uninstalling.
For the next blog I will first try another Plugin.
Nice, but really needs the option to prevent word breaks in the first x characters and last x characters to prevent ugly hyphenations.
Contributors & Developers
“Hyphenator” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- option “Do not hide content during hyphenation” is now activated by default
- completely rewrited main plugin file
** better performance
** option to hook script in
** script files’ version the same as plugin’s version if not using developer trunk
- cleaner settings plugin file and its output
- updated to Hyphenator.js 5.1.0
- Added support for Romanian and Serbian cyrillic.
- Better performance
- added support for
- added Polish translation
- updated to Hyphenator.js 4.1.0
- faster pattern checking (async)
- globally hide and unhide text by setting CSS classes (faster)
- made Hyphenator.js ready for IE10
- Added support for Esperanto, Estonian and Serbian latin
- updated to Hyphenator.js 4.0.0
- Faster: 30% less execution time
- Added support for Slovak
- fixed issue with Copy in IE9
- fixed errors caused by
- correct language code for Norwegian Bokmål
- new default language option
- 0.0.7 (12.10.2008) – first version (released first as version 1.0)
- 0.0.8 (15.10.2008) – updated to Hyphenator.js v8 (beta)
- 0.0.81 (22.10.2008) – updated to Hyphenator.js v8_1 (beta)
- 0.0.91 (04.11.2008) – updated to Hyphenator.js v9_1 (beta)
- 0.1.0 (26.11.2008) – updated to Hyphenator.js v10 (beta)
- 0.1.1 (23.12.2008) – updated to Hyphenator.js v11 (beta)
- 0.1.2 (12.01.2009) – updated to Hyphenator.js v12 (beta)
- 1.0.0 (24.02.2009) – updated to Hyphenator.js 1.0.0, new version numbers and new backend
- 188.8.131.52 (25.02.2009) – fatal bug fixed
- 1.0.1 (03.03.2009) – updated to Hyphenator.js 1.0.1
- 1.0.2 (09.03.2009) – updated to Hyphenator.js 1.0.2
- 2.0.0 (15.03.2009) – updated to Hyphenator.js 2.0.0
- 184.108.40.206 (16.03.2009) – bug fixed
- 2.2.0 (08.05.2009) – updated to Hyphenator.js 2.2.0
- 220.127.116.11 (19.06.2009) – bug fixed
- 2.3.0 (15.07.2009) – updated to Hyphenator.js 2.3.0
- 2.3.1 (10.08.2009) – updated to Hyphenator.js 2.3.1
- 3.2.0 (31.12.2010) – updated to Hyphenator.js 3.2.0
- 3.3.0 (29.06.2011) – updated to Hyphenator.js 3.3.0
- 18.104.22.168 (03.07.2011) – fatal error fixed