hukdpress (pronounced hucked-press, or something similar), is a magical, shiny and some even say mystical wordpress
plugin that uses the API from the awesome guys at hotukdeals.com.
The plugin appends to any post, or page you want, a list of deals sourced from hotukdeals.com which match some criteria which
you specify on a per-post basis. It’s great for showing the best prices or latest offers on the subject of your post or page.
Now, to use this plugin, you need to apply for an API key directly from hotukdeals.com,
but thats cool. It’s totally free.
Now, lets give the bad news before the good news. The plugin will work fine on IE6, but might look ugly because of pretty
transparency used all over the place. All other modern browsers are supported. Maybe even lynx, but thats up to you to try.
- Full support of all the aspects of the hotukdeals.com API.
- Restrict your searches to various categories of hotukdeals.com
- Cache! Everything is cached (if you want..) to stop you hitting you API limit if you have thousands of viewers.
- “Basic” mode disables all the pretty curves in case your theme doesn’t look good with the default settings.
- Configuration of colours, scrolling wait times, number of deals, areas to search.. pretty much everything.
- Optional integration with twitter means your viewers can tweet deals they find via. your site.
- Automagic validation of your API key upon entry.
- Requires wordpress 2.8 thanks to everything thats shiny and new and makes this stuff easier
- Any version of PHP 5
For what its worth, this is my first wordpress plugin. But don’t hold that against it – it’s actually pretty neat,
and you know, works, which is a huge plus.
- Internationalization: Despite this being a uk-based widget, the next version will add localization support.
You have two options. The easiest is to use automagic plugin installation inside wordpress. To do that:
- Go to the administration site of your blog
- Click plugins
- Click “Add New”
- Search for “hukdpress”, then click install!
Alternatively, grab the archive, extract and put the hukdpress folder in /wp-content/plugins/, or, in detail:
- Download the plugin (zip file) using the link on the right.
- Extract the contents so you end up with a “hukdpress” folder
- Upload that whole folder (not just the contents) to /wp-content/plugins/
- Go to your blogs administration site, click plugins, then “Activate” on hukdpress
- My theme background isn’t white
You have two options. You can either edit the images yourself, or if you just want to hit one button and fix it,
enable “basic mode” in the administration settings!
- Where can I find more information?
We have a proper actual website, you can find it at http://code.gladdymedia.com/hukdpress
- How do I contact you?
Twitter is the best plan, @lgladdy. Alternatively, you could email
liam[at]gladdymedia.com. I’m happy to support and fix and bugs you find 🙂
Contributors & Developers
“hukdpress” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Added detection of invalid API key (which disables all hukdpress boxes and shows an admin warning)
- Updating installation instructions
- One more update to refresh the wordpress plugin directory with various changes now the code lives here
- Switches to wordpress hosting for the plugin and updates readme.txt accordingly. No new features
- Adds a requirement for PHP 5 (it didn’t work on PHP 4 before anyway, but now it tell you)
- Improved handling of deals without merchant or prices (from other categories)
- Initial release! Yay.