The fact is the internet is open can lead to theft especially to content stealing and plagiarism.
Until now, there was very little to discourage and deter this serious crime. Yes content theft and
plagarism is a crime in some jurisdictions.
You cannot rely on others or the authorities to continue to police the internet as they
do not have enough resources. You need to protect your content and deter this theft.
The basic form of content theft is to copy and paste your content to another medium.
Well Houdini, prevents this using a little known special algorithm that prevents copying by
making the selected text that is targeted by the perps to be copied, to disappear! Yes disappear!!!
The only way to recover is to reload the page in the web browser. If they try again, the content
disappears again. As long as they keep trying to select and copy your content, the content will disappear
before they can get a chance to execute the copy command!
After a few unsuccessful attempts, the theives will move on to a easier target.
A user became very critical whether houdini can actually protect you from content thieves, and that
user gave five critical breaches that was claimed unprotectable. Well, houdini now protects from those
breaches either directly or indirectly by giving you tips for your theme modification.
from being printed, embed a watermark to pages for screen capturers, disable RSS and password protect
Your are safer!
We make honorable mention to anyone who helps make this plugin better!
Special thanks to www.psychingoutthemarkets.com for their recommendation of a user configurable text field.
Special thanks to http://fourisland.com/blog/and-like-magic-nothing-happens/for pointing out these browser security breaches for content theft. See Admin Settings|Houdini for tips to overcome these breaches!
Special thanks to http://www.idreia.com for their recommendation of a user configurable check entry for protecting all pages
Support is provided at https://github.com/patrickingle/houdini/issues. You will require a free account on github.com
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the above forum with questions, comments, or requests.
To install this plugin, follow these steps:
- Download the plugin houdini.zip
- Extract the single file houdinin.php
- Extract plugin to the
/wp-content/plugins/directory as new directory will be created identified as ‘houdini’
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress, identified by ‘Houdini’
- Insert the shortcode [houdini] on the pages/posts that you want to protect from plagarism.
- If you want to protect your existing/all pages/posts without adding the shortcode to each page, there is an option on the Admin Settings|Houdini page
- Additional tips can be found on the Admin Settings|Houdini page.
Please do not be afraid of asking questions?
(There are no stupid or dumb questions!)
- How do I know if Houdini is working?
You can test Houdini, after you have installed/activated, by creating a page with some text and
placing the Houdini shortcode [houdini] on that page. Save and view the page. Then using your mouse,
begin selecting text, that text will soon disappear and be deselected with nothing to copy!
- Houdini does not work with Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Google Chrome?
The disappearance of selected text feature works only with Internet Explorer. Using one of the above browser, when
you select more than minimum characters defined in Admin|Settings|Houding page, that selection becomes unselected. Still annoyance to a content
stealer when they do not expect this feature!
Contributors & Developers
“Houdini” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Change static wp_ to wpdb->prefix
- WP version 4.6 tested
- WP version 4.3
- Fixes the MySQL error: WordPress database error: [Duplicate column name ‘textsize’] ALTER TABLE
textsizeINT NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘250’ for certain MySQL installations
- Added check entry field to enable protection of all existing pages/post without adding the shortcode to these existing pages/posts
- Added entry field for admin configurable minimum selectable text size before de-selection occurs.
- Added entry field for admin configurable page text that raplaces the static text ‘This page is copy protected’