Per August 1, 2012, Google discontinued the used of their splittesting software Google Website Optimizer. Google Analytics now contains a function called Content Experiments which can be used to splittest content on your website. This plugin enables you to use Content Experiments on your WordPress site.
- How do I setup a content experiment?
Please see this page.
- Error message: ‘Call to undefined function wp_get_theme’
wp_get_themeexists since WordPress 3.4.0. Try to update to the latest version of WordPress and see if that resolves the issue.
- Error message: ‘Experiment code missing the cookie domain name declared in tracking code’
The Google Analytics code modifies the cookie domain, but this modification is not present in the experiment code.
You should add some extra code to the code you get from Google.
In your Google Analytics code there is some code like
['_setDomainName', 'example.com']. You should add the following code above the experiment code you got from Google:
_udn = “example.com”;
In total, the experiment code you put in the Experiment Code field of the GCE plugin should look like:
_udn = “example.com”;
<!-- Google Analytics Experiment code --> ... Contents of the experiment code ... <!-- End of Google Analytics Experiment code -->
For more info about error messages go to the Code-Checking Errors page.
I tried it with a Genesis child theme - works well.
My only problem was to find my way in google Experiments UI, which has nothing to do with the plugin 🙂
I had to add "<?php do_action( 'wpe_gce_head' ); ?>" to my header.php for this to work on my theme. Almost thought it didn't work...maybe this step should be placed at the top of the installation instructions instead of the bottom
- Tested compatibility with WordPress 3.6
- Fixed some notices of undefined variables
- Updated class-wpe-GCE.php and admin/class-wpe-GCEAdmin.php according to WordPress PHP Coding Standards
- Updated language files
- Updated screenshot
- Updated Genesis support to be compatible with Genesis 2.0 to support HTML5 child themes
- Added metabox to activate the experiment to the Add new post/pages/custom post type screens
- Added support for Infinity
- Added support for Thematic
- Added support for PageLines
- Fixed bug that inserted experiment code when displaying multiple posts (e.g. on category pages)
- Updated Dutch translation
- Initial release