The Genesis Press Post Type plugin provides a custom post type called Press that is designed to allow an individual or company to create bookmarks of press coverage for their company, brands, or executives. The plugin also provides a widget called Genesis Featured Press that allows you to drop this content on any widget area in your Genesis child theme.
The Press custom post type supports:
- Native title, excerpt, and featured image fields.
- Source name and source hyperlink.
- 2 related article names and hyperlinks.
This plugin was specifically designed and tested for “The Speaker” which is a the Series child theme for Genesis written and designed by Scott Ellis, Matt Lawrence, and Derick Schaefer. A working demo can be seen under the Press menu on The Speaker demo site at http://demo.speakertheme.com .
The Featured Press widget supports:
- Multiple widget instances.
- Categories and sorting.
- Image inclusion and basic formatting.
WordPress native feature support:
- Native categories and tags.
- Featured images
Please understand that this is a free, open source plugin. Still, we are committed to security and quality. Visit the plugins website and provide us feedback. We want your input and do strive to make it better.
- What is the difference between a Press custom post type and a normal WordPress post?
WordPress posts are for you to write content. Press custom post types are more like a bookmark that allows you to title and describe the bookmark. In normal implementations, any click on the bookmark will take you to the source article. For example, clicking on a Press post will take you to a the newspaper website where the article is hosted versus resolving to a WordPress permalink. Press custom post types have no content. Just titles, excerpts, and links.
- Why wouldn’t I just copy the newspaper’s article to my WordPress blog?
Copyright laws are one good reason why you wouldn’t want to do that. But more importantly, newspaper and media sites carry credibility. Your mention on their site carries more marketing weight than you simply talking about it on your site.
- Initial release which included quite a bit of live testing and updates. We went through a few rewrites on this to get it right!