This WordPress plugin adds a sidebar widget to display a random fortune cookie fortune. The database hosted on FortuneKookie.com has over 1500 unique fortunes and each fortune includes the front message, the back word(s), and the lucky numbers.
In addition to the sidebar widget, random fortunes may also be displayed on your posts or pages using a shortcode.
PLEASE NOTE: You will need to register for your security code on http://wordpress.fortunekookie.com/#register Simply enter your email address and the code will be sent to you.
- Displays a random fortune cookie fortune on your sidebar from a database hosted on FortuneKookie.com.
- Ability to show or hide the back word(s).
- Ability to show or hide the lucky numbers.
- View the fortune via a special fortune cookie graphic.
- Display a random fortune cookie fortune from any Post or any Page.
[fortunekookie|random=1] – Displays a random fortune including the back word(s) and lucky numbers
[fortunekookie|random=2] – Displays a random fortune including the lucky numbers
[fortunekookie|random=3] – Displays a random fortune including the back word(s)
[fortunekookie|random=4] – Displays only the front of a random fortune
- Homepage for this plugin:
- Register for security code:
In order to complete the setup of this widget you must register for your security code on http://wordpress.fortunekookie.com/#register NOTE: Once you receive the email with the code, you must confirm the code by either clicking on the link or copying/pasting the URL into your browser.
- Upload the
fortunekookiefolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Enable the Widget through the Appearance –> Widgets menu (drag your Widget to the location you want it on your widget list)
- Copy and paste your FortuneKookie 32-digit code that you received when you registered on http://wordpress.fortunekookie.com
- Change any other configuration settings here such as Title or Display (Show back of fortune and/or show lucky numbers)
- Click “Save”
Congratulations! Your FortuneKookie widget is now working!
If you would like to see a random fortune cookie message on one of your Pages or one of your Posts, place this shortcode anywhere:
FortuneKookie may work on WordPress releases prior to 2.7 but this has not been tested.
- What does this widget do?
This widget interfaces with FortuneKookie.com and pulls a random fortune cookie message from its database. Then, displays the fortune on your sidebar of your blog.
- Can I display more than one fortune at a time?
Not with this version of the widget. However, in addition to the sidebar widget, you can also get a random fortune message in a Post or a Page
- How can I get a fortune cookie fortune in one of my posts?
Add this shortcode anywhere you’d like to see the fortune cookie fortune:
- What is the security code?
This code allows the FortuneKookie servers to track the source of the API call. Please register for your security code on http://wordpress.fortunekookie.com/#register by simply using your e-mail address. The generic 32-digit security code does not functions.
- What is FortuneKookie.com?
This is a site where one can save and share fortune cookie fortunes. The pool of fortunes that supply this plugin are not generated by FortuneKookie users, but only by the FortuneKookie Crew.
Contributors & Developers
“FortuneKookie Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed bug with the configuration screen
- Added ability to view a random fortune cookie fortune from a Post or a Page using this shortcode:
- Optimized the code for faster load times
- Generic security code no longer functions. Register on http://wordpress.fortunekookie.com/#register by simply using your e-mail address to request your own 32-digit security code.
- Added additional error codes to the FortuneKookie server
- Fixed another spelling error in the readme.txt file
- Enhancements to back-end API call to allow for graphic display of fortune cookie
- View fortune with cool fortune cookie background via clicking on the cookie message link
- Added option to show / hide this fortune cookie message link
- Description appears when viewing FortuneKookie widget in the “Available Widgets” screen
- Completed the security code registration screens (available here: http://wordpress.fortunekookie.com/)
- Streamlined code snippet, should be a bit more efficient
- Started to Internationalize the screen text
- Grammar fix in the readme.txt file
- Added option to show / hide the “Powered by: FortuneKookie” link
- Added option to show / hide the FortuneKookie.com logo
- Support to toggle show / hide of fortune cookie back of message
- Support to toggle show / hide of fortune cookie lucky numbers