When using Unicode in Japanese, there is “WAVE DASH Problem”, “FULLWIDTH HYPHEN Problem”:
a problem which similar-glyph but different-code-character are used in Unicode texts.
Below are invalid (left) and prefered (right) pairs:
- “～” U+FF5E FULLWIDTH TILD -> “〜” U+301C WAVE DASH
- “―” U+2015 HORIZONTAL BAR -> “—” U+2014 EM DASH
- “－” U+FF0D FULLWIDTH HYPHEN-MINUS -> “−” U+2212 MINUS SIGN
- “￠” U+FFE0 FULLWIDTH CENT SIGN -> “¢” U+00A2 CENT SIGN
- “￡” U+FFE1 FULLWIDTH POUND SIGN -> “£” U+00A3 POUND SIGN
- “￢” U+FFE2 FULLWIDTH NOT SIGN -> “¬” U+00AC NOT SIGN
For example, the punctuation called wave dash “〜” is used for various purposes:
- growing the end of the word (e.g. “え〜”)
- showing range between two words (e.g. “東京〜大阪”)
- decoration for a title (e.g. “〜〜波ダッシュとは〜〜”)
But, the Unicode character sets has two different code for wave-shape characters.
One is U+301C “〜” as “WAVE DASH”, the other one is U+FF5E “～” as “FULLWIDTH TILD”.
Moreover, Microsoft Windows mainly uses U+FF5E, and other environments (such as
Mac OS X, Linux, Perl, PHP, Java) mainly uses U+301C.
“WAVE DASH problem” is a phenomenon that different “wave-shape characters” are
mixed in Unicode texts.
For example, below cases will occur:
A Mac OS X or Linux user have chance to borrow a Microsoft Windows computer
to update the weblog, some FULLWIDTH TILD mixed!!
(Because Windows uses FULLWIDTH TILD.)
A Windows user who uses mainly FULLWIDTH TILD in his/her weblog, tried to
post using mobile phone. Some WAVE DASH will be included.
(Because converting the encoding ISO-2022-JP for Japanese mail messages
into UTF-8 with PHP function “mb_convert_encoding” results WAVE DASH.)
This plugin tries to solve the problem by replacing all “FULLWIDTH TILD” characters
into “WAVE DASH” ones in posts, pages, comments, categories, tags, blogroll (bookmarks),
and etc when you create, edit, and show them.
The root cause is that Microsoft Windows uses “FULLWIDTH TILD” instead of “WAVE DASH”.
Better character code should be “WAVE DASH” because other environments uses it.
This plugin canonicalize to use “WAVE DASH” by converting FULLWIDTH TILDs into them.
Also see below:
Below are Japanese articles:
- WordPress 2.0 or later
- PHP 4.3 or later
- UTF-8 encoding for weblog (This plugin is no use for EUC-JP, Shift_JIS weblogs)
The license of this plugin is GPL v2.
Extract a package and send the force-wave-dash folder into the plugin directory
(wp-content/plugins/) of your weblog.
And enable this plugin at plugins admin panel.
- Previously existing FULLWIDTH TILD characters in your blog DB will be only touched
when you edit them. This plugin does NOT support bulk replace of FULLWIDTH TILD.
If you want to replace all FULLWIDTH characters into WAVE DASH, try export
the weblog and replace them with text editors, and import.
- This plugin does NOT replace FULLWIDTH TILDs in blog title, blog tagline when
editing them. (There is no filter hook in WordPress to replace them.)
- If you search words including WAVE DASH or FULLWIDTH TILD, the result will not
cover all wish result. Because, the search will ignore previously remained
FULLWIDTH TILD in weblog DB.
- Before and equal to Microsoft Windows XP, the font rendering of “WAVE DASH”
is ugly. Therefore all “wave-shape character” will seen as dirty. Use Vista
or Windows 7 instead.
- With some mobile phone or PDA (espeacilly Windows CE, Windows Mobile),
WAVE DASHes are garbling into “?”, “・”, or “□”. In these terminals, there is
no font assigned for WAVE DASH.
Contributors & Developers
“Force Wave Dash” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Change distributing site to Official WordPress Plugins repository.
- Replace FULLWIDTH TILD in categories, tags, blogrolls (bookmarks) when to create or edit them.
- Replace blog title, blog tagline when showing them.
- Use preg_replace() with “u” modifier instead of mb_ereg_replace().
- Better replacing not to be garbled when creating or editing posts for MySQL 4.1 or later.
- Converts hyphens and currency signs other than fullwidth tild.
- Replace FULLWIDTH TILD in categories, tags when showing them.
(NOT replace when create, edit them)
- Replace FULLWIDTH TILD in excerpts, comment authors, comment contents when show, create, or edit them.
- Replace FULLWIDTH TILD in search strings.
- Stop using binary of FULLWIDTH TILD and WAVE DASH to avoid damaging when opening the plugin PHP file by text editors.
- Stop checking that the PHP internal encoding is UTF-8. Use mb_internal_encoding() at converting.
- Replace FULLWIDTH TILD in post titles, windows titles when showing them.
- Fixed problem that not replacing FULLWIDTH TILD with other plugins (such as Ktai Location).
- Change distributing site to WordPress Plugins/JSeries (An alternative repository in Japan)
- Check the PHP internal encoding is UTF-8
- Initial release.