As your blog gets more and more posts you will inevitably create more categories to keep them organised. Eventually your categories will take up more room on your screen and scroll across many pages. I work on one blog which has over 350 categories and with this number the standard WordPress category list is the height of three or four screens – any content below this is lost!
Folding Category List for WordPress is a plug-in that will only show the top level categories and the current sub-categories. This will save a lot of space on your sidebars for other widgets. Additionally, you can animate the menu as either a drop down horizontal menu or an accordion style vertical menu, both with cool jQuery animations.
- jQuery Animation: Use Suckerfish or Superfish to animate drop down menus! – js included in plugin, just activate from control panel!
- jQuery Animation: Use Simple jQuery Accordion to animate vertical menus! – js included in plugin, just activate from control panel!
- SEO friendly: Add nofollow and descriptions to links.
- Multi-widget: Have as many lists as you need.
- Multi-category: If posts are in multiple categories, you can still control which one to expand, or expand all of them.
- International: Plugin is compatible with translation plugins (qTranslate).
- Control: Change order by category name, id, description, post count or use My Category Order plugin for total control.
- Pages: Expand category list on pages using custom fields.
- Style: There are lots of different options for CSS tags allowing designers to create unique menus.
This plugin can be configured via a new settings page which can be found under Settings->FoCaL. All the settings are now documented and explained on this screen.
More details can be found in on the plugin homepage: http://timtrott.co.uk/wordpress-folding-category-list/
- I can’t delete a setting profile
Try deleting any unused widgets from the “inactive widgets” section of the widgets dashboard and try again.
- How do I get multiple widgets?
Simply drag the focal icon to your sidebar(s) as needed.
WordPress 2.3 – 2.7
Below your available widgets section, you should see a section asking “How many Folding
Category widgets would you like?”. Simply change the number in the box and click save.
For some reason it does not always add extra widgets on the first attempt, but it works
fine the second time.
- I sorted the list by X, it’s not working
You need to Rebuild the Cache for changes to take effect.
- I upgraded but receive various php errors
Data structures have changed to increase performance and may be incompatible with the
latest version. Please Rebuild the Cache to resolve the errors. You need only do it once.
- The navigation is not updated / showing old data
Ensure that “Automatically rebuild cache” is enabled or you manually click “Build Cache”.
- I get a Fatal error
Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 274388 bytes)
In some rare cases WordPress is unable to update its internal cache object and crashes out.
Please see https://wordpress.org/support/topic/161173?replies=3 for progress on this issue.
For full version history and older versions please refer to the plugin homepage.
- Fixed bug with WordPress 3.5