Having trouble trying to find a simple plugin to show the amount of subscribers your FeedBurner account has? Looking for a plugin that will show the amount of subscribers in simple text, without having to go thru countless configuration options? This plugin is for you!
FeedBurner Counter is a simple to install and simple to run plugin. It shows your number without any kind of formatting, so you can add it to your layout or post/page as simple text and format it the way you want to.
<?php xc_feedburner_counter('XXXXX'); ?> in your template where you want the code to be show. Change the XXXXX for your FeedBurner URI ( http://feeds.feedburner.com/XXXXX).
You can also add the shortcode in your post or page:
This code will show as simple text, so you can put it in a span, div or what-have-you and style it the way you want to.
New in version 0.2:
You can now set the plugin to show the value without a comma (,). In your PHP code, just add a 0 to the end of the function, like so:
In your post or page, just add “number_format=0″, like this:
[feedburner_counter feed=”XXXXX” number_format=0]
The number format is optional. The default is returning a formated number (eg: 1,234 instead of 1234).
You can also get the number as a variable in your code, just use the following:
Will return number without formating (eg: 1234 instead of 1,234) so you can use it however you want.
Been usefull for you? Show your love! Donate today!
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
<?php xc_feedburner_counter('XXXXX'); ?>in your template where you want the code to be show. Or just add the shortcode in your post or page:
[feedburner_counter feed="XXXXX"]where “XXXXX” is your FeedBurner URI (http://feeds.feedburner.com/XXXXX).
- Remember to only use the FeedBurner URI. Do not use your Feedburner login e-mail.
- The number of subscribers will show as regular un-styled text.
- My subscribers aren’t showing. Why?
Make sure your server’s safe_mode is ON. If it’s not, contact your service provider to make this change. Make sure you read the instructions regarding the installation.
- I have a problem when I install the plugin. Something about a cURL not working. Why?
Your server must have the cURL library installed. Ask kindly if they can install it (they should know what that means).
- The plugin shows my number of subscribers as 0 (zero). Why?
Maybe your Feedburner feed isn’t configured to inform the amount of subscribers you have. To fix this, go to Feedburner.com.
If you are using Google’s new interface, select your feed, click on “Configure analytics” and make sure the options “Item views” and “Item link clicks” are checked. Save and retry.
If you are using the old interface, select your feed, select the menu option “Publicize”, click on “FeedCount” and make sure the service is “Active”. On that same page, click on the “Awareness API” menu item on the sidebar and make sure this one is also “Active”.
If the problem persists, make sure you have cleaned your websites cache (specially if you are using a plugin such as W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache).
- I’ve cleaned my cache and still shows as 0 (zero) subscribers. Why?
Are you sure you place the tag correctly? It must exactly as shown under “Installation”, with the single quotes and your FeedBurner URI.
- The number of subscribers that the plugin gives me is different from the number on my Feedburner account. Why?
Feedburner updates the counter less often than it updates the amount on their API. One day Google might make the counter real-time. Until then, there is not much we can do.
- Can I get the value of followers as a PHP variable?
Sure. Just use
<?php $feedburner_counter = get_xc_feedburner_counter('XXXXX'); ?>.
- This plugin has changed my life forever! Can I show my appreciation by making a small donation?
Sure! I accept PayPal donations. Just head on to http://bit.ly/xctcc – any amount is much appreciated!
- I have a question. How can I get an answer to it?
Go to this plugins WordPress page and on the right sidebar, click on the link in “Got something to say? Need help? Write a new topic.”
I’ll try to keep a constant eye over there to make sure any problem is solved quickly.
Contributors & Developers
“Feedburner Counter” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- 24th of November 2011
- Option to retrieve (“return”) count instead of printing (“echo”)
- Option to show count as unformatted (ie without a comma)
- New tests made to make sure old value would be retrieved if API is malfunctioning.
- Minor changes to the plugin and readme.txt corrections
- 10th of March 2011 – Official plugin launch.