This plugin was initially designed as a theme function but we thought it might come in handy for someone else. It is designed to use the following plugins:
Of course you can create your own custom post types and taxonomies but the Custom Post Type UI plugin makes very light work of it.
The plugin creates a widget for adding featured posts. There are other plugins that do this but Featured Custom Posts allows for custom post types and taxonomies. It was created to show featured products that were created as custom post types.
- Select number of posts to display (default: 10)
- Post Type
- Custom Taxonomy
- Custom Taxonomy Term
New In Version 1.1
- Added Permalink Base for post URL (Defaults to post’s GUID)
- Added Post Title as the link text if Taxonomy Images plugin isn’t present
Custom Post Type: “products”
Taxonomy Term: “featured”
In this example our custom post type of “products” allows us to add products in a similar way to posts. Now with our custom taxonomy of “product-tags” we can tag our products with the tag “featured”. Plug this information into the widget via the wp-admin area and you’re all set!
- Allow for multiple taxonomy terms
- Add thumbnail size support
- How do I use the Permalink Base feature?
This gives you a way to add a custom slug in front of your post_name in the URL if you’re using permalinks. If your permalink structure looks like
/%category%/%postname%/then your permalink base might look like
/products, for example. You can also use a single forward slash to produce something like
- Added: Permalink Base for post URL (Defaults to post’s GUID)
- Added: Post Title as the link text if Taxonomy Images plugin isn’t present
- Added: Functionality that checks if “Taxonomy Images” plugin is active and in use
- Added: Class “featured-custom-posts” to list of custom posts
- Initial setup