Faster Image Insert aims to do one thing right:
Moves built-in Media Manager down in a meta-box, right next to main editing panel, so you have full control of the manager: opens it, makes it collapse or hidden from the interface completely.
Best of all, is now you can insert image(s) much faster, and precisely where you want them to be.
- No thickbox, using metabox with zero interface blocking, quite similar to the uploader in WordPress 1.5
- No hacking, default upload interface is not affected, only enhanced.
- Insert multiple images in gallery & library mode, without using shortcode; can also insert images in reversed order, and even control spacing between images.
- Mass info editing, change title/captions in one-shot.
- Smart switches: set default uploader, disable captions.
This plugin is designed for:
- Screenshot lover – movie, game or anime review etc.
- Howto guru – cooking guide, hardware DIY guide etc.
- Photo logger – author can comment below each photo.
- Blogger that has been shouting “run, thickbox, RUN!” to the loading screens.
- Chinese – by DF
- French – by Li-An
- Danish – by Georg
- Japanese – by Chibi
- Russian – by FatCow
- Romanian – by Alexander
- German – by Jenny
- Dutch – by Rene
- Spanish – by Adrian
- Extract to folder /faster-image-insert
- Upload to WordPress plugins directory /wp-content/plugins
- Activate the plugin in WordPress plugin page
- (Optional) Change options in “Settings” menu
- Navigate to post/page editing panel, a Fast Insert metabox should appear
- Does the media manager behaves the same in meta-box ?
Yes, except less annoying (I hope).
- Why my items’ ordering are not saved ?
Remember to press “save all changes” button after re-ordering images. “Insert selected images” only outputs in listing order, NOT by ordering numbers.
- Why are blank spaces/lines not saved ?
WordPress’ default editor TinyMCE strips consecutive blank spaces/lines; the action is performed when saving or switching edit mode. This plugin tries to work around it by sending
- Conflicts with other plugins ?
Following plugins are known to either modify the way data is sent to editor, or use a non-default gallery view; with these plugins you may not be able to insert multiple images at once or using our mass editing feature; other FII functions should continue to work.
I have been using this plugin for the past 3 years now and it works great. However, it seems like the plugin author has stopped updating and some things don’t work like they used to.
My only drawback as to why I didn’t give it a 5/5 is because I have a simple problem that when I upload my pics, lets say from 1-10 in ascending order they upload fine. However, When I click “save”, the images are then show in descending order from 10-1. This causes a problem when I want to use the mass edit feature because the images get updated in reverse order. It is not a major deal breaker but it is an inconvenience and time consuming. I have looked around for a solution but have not been able to find one and it seems others were having this problem too. I have also looked in my media.php files to see if there was something there but was unsuccessful with that too.
Mr David Frank would you be so kind to let me know how to fix that? Thank you.
Contributors & Developers
“Faster Image Insert” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed a potential XSS issue
- For WordPress 3.5+ (only WP3.5 are tested, probably work for 3.4+ as well)
- Resolve 2 PHP notices generated by deprecated function and unguarded variable (Thanks georgestephanis)
- Added latest po file for future i18n translation
- For WordPress 3.4+
- Added image link options to mass edit
- Added translation in German, Dutch, Spanish & Romanian (community provided)
- Fix an issue where image caption editing does not work
- Fix an issue where checkbox is not displayed when using translation file
- Fix an issue where deprecated user level is used, change to capability ‘activate_plugins’
- Clarify known plugin conflicts with other plugins in FAQ
- Fixed CSRF issue
- Fixed support for HTTPS protocol
- Updated French translation
- For WordPress 3.0+
- Support custom post types
- Now able to insert multiple images at default upload page
- Remove unnecessary components
- Provides a new method for reloading the meta-box (click to toggle after autosave);
- New Option for global custom string (inserted between images on multiple insertions);
- New Translation and POT file.
- Updates for the wordpress 2.8+ user;
- Removes dependence on internal scripts to resolve plugin conflicts;
- Attempts to work around the TinyMCE whitespace stripping problem;
- Compatible mode is now auto-enabled (load quicktags.js if not 2.8);
- Updates FAQ.
- Resolves a plugin conflict, updates readme.
- Re-structured setting page layout, new translation, updated compatible version.
- Add compatibility mode to remove functions that are WP 2.8 built-in, debug mode for plugin conflict debugging, new translation.
- Ability to reverse image ordering & toggle all image items (remember to save it first). fix a problem regarding mass-edit.
- Negate selection now available, Danish translation by Georg, French translation by Li-An, users are now able to set separator between images, and disable caption if desired.
- new experimental mass-image edit (change title, caption, alignment & size; enable it in option page); added i18n support (pot file included), with chinese translation.
- removed due to wrong file, please use 1.3.2, we apologize for the trouble.
- provide options for customization & debug (under Settings menu); fix a bug associate with non-image insertion; load image upload form instead of media upload form (they have the identical functions, but latter has better From URL tab support); get ready for i18n; tested support for wordpress 2.6
- now comes with multiple images insertion feature; various improvements.
- optimized autosave detection. Final release for WordPress 2.7.1
- workaround for autosave breaking upload queue, better support for wordpress installation in sub-folder.
- updated readme, better support for un-saved post.
- initial release, basic function implemented.