The shortcode can accept three optional parameters:
- format can be used to specify a highlighting format, rather than letting the plugin decide which format to use
- start specifies a line number to output from, so sections of a file/url can be shown
- end specifies the line to stop at
See the installation page for usage examples.
The available formats are:
Following is a list of ideas and features to add:
- BASE_PATH and BASE_URL options that can be used in the shortcode to avoid typing the same long path/url each time
- a list of available formats with the checkboxes to enable/disable each individually, thus avoiding having to load all of them
- an option for changing the theme of the syntax highlighter
- Install the plugin and activate
- In a post or page, type [external]/path/to/your/script.txt[/external]
[external start=10 end=20]/very/long/script.js[/external]
My code isn’t being highlighted
<?php wp_footer(); ?>
My code should be formatted as *x, but is showing up as plain*
If you are specifying a format, are you using one from the available formats list (see the Description page)? If you are not specifying a format, does the file have a correct extension for the file type or is the web page returning with the correct Content-Type header?
I’m still stuck
Get in touch, I’ll see what I can do!
Contributors & Developers
“External Files” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
* First version! Works for me, comments appreciated.