edshelf helps you find the most effective educational tools for your specific needs. You can also create shelves of tools you like, or browse shelves created by others.
This plugin provides a shortcode so you can easily embed an edshelf widget onto your site.
The shortcode is:
[edshelf-shelf-widget id="NNNN" height="YYY" format="FFFF"]
The template tag is:
edshelf_shelf_widget( NNNN, YYYY, 'FFFF' );
NNNN is the ID of the shelf you want to embed,
YYY is the height of the widget in pixels, and
FFFF is the format of widget. You can get this ID from the shelf on edshelf, in the Widget module at the bottom of the right column. The choices for the format of widget are “grid” (the default setting), “list”, or “compact”.
- Download and unzip the plugin file.
- Upload the
edshelf-widgetsfolder into your
- Go to the Plugins section of your WordPress admin and activate the “edshelf Widgets” plugin.
- Go to edshelf and view a collection you want to embed.
- Look for the Widget module at the bottom of the right column. In that module will be some code.
- Look for a 5 or 6-digit number in that code. That number is the ID number of the shelf.
- Go to the blog post or page on which you want to embed this shelf widget.
- Type in the following WordPress shortcode in the text editor:
[edshelf-shelf-widget id="NNNN" height="YYY" format="FFFF"].
- The settings are:
NNNNis the shelf ID you just found.
YYYis the height of the widget in pixels.
FFFFis the format of widget, where your choices are “grid” (the default setting), “list”, or “compact”.
- Or use the template tag
edshelf_shelf_widget( $id, $height, '$format' );if you are familiar with PHP.
- And you’re done!
- Do I need to use this plugin to embed an edshelf widget?
This widget gives you the next best thing: a shortcode for your blog posts and pages that will automatically embed the edshelf widget for you.
If you know PHP, a template tag is also available.
- I only see one widget. Is that it?
Yes, edshelf only has one widget so far. More will be coming. Stay tuned!
- How tall can I make the widget?
As tall as you want!
- How can I set the width of the widget?
We don’t offer that option yet, but the widget will automatically stretch to 100% of whatever space you put it in – so if you know HTML and CSS, you can just set the width of the parent container holding this widget.
- Can I embed more than one widget to a page?
Yes! Embed as many as you would like.
- Is this widget available in other languages?
Sorry, not yet. We do intend to offer multiple language support in the future though.
- Where can I go for more help?
If you need additional assistance, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contributors & Developers
“edshelf Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Added backwards compatibility with previous shortcode,
- Added image assets.
- Updated code to reflect the new naming scheme (“shelves” instead of “collections”) and architecture of the edshelf site. Changed settings and controls accordingly.
- Replaced the parameter and term “type” with “format” for future compatibility of upcoming features.
- Added support for widget types, such as full, list, and compact.