EasyAPNs for WordPress is an adaptation of the Easy APNs open source project, developed by Ludovic Lecerf. The original project authors is Manifest Interactive. EasyAPNs is a tool to simplify interaction with the Apple Push Notification Service. It works great with Apple apps such as iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad applications.
This plugin is ONLY useful for Apple developers. You should use XCode or Appcelerator.
How it works ?
Each push message must be “addressed” to a specific device. This is achieved by using a unique device Token generated by APNS within your iPhone application. Once this token has been retrieved by EasyAPNs, it is stored in your WP database.
When a post is published, the Payload (the message) is added to the queue. Every hour, the Payload will be sent to Apple Devices that were registered in the database. You don’t need to configure a cron job, a WP-Cron is already active.
- Possibility to process the queue immediately when a post is published
- Development and production certificate management
- Bugs correction
- Bugs correction
- Table of devices
- Possibility to assign the development certificate (sandbox) to a device.
- Initial release
See Ludovic Lecerf’s Blog for more details (in French).
This section describes how to install EasyAPNs and get it working.
- Unzip the archive and upload the
easyapnsfolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to EasyAPNs configuration panel
- Configure your Application Name, and your Certificates paths. To generate these Certificates, go to BoxedIce Blog to know how to do it. You must put a development and a production certificate. If you don’t want production certificate for the moment, just put the development certificate path in the configuration.
- Don’t forget to activate Push Notifications in the right box of the post Editor!
- Publish the post, enjoy!
How to enable the Development Certificate ?
Just put ‘sandbox’ in the wp_apns_devices . development column, on the device you want.
How to register a device on the Application ?
Your iPhone App Delegate.m need to register for remote notifications with an url. This url must have the GET parameter (easyapns=register), it will end up looking something like:
You should look at the code in the delegate/Delegate.m file for XCode and delegate/AppCelerator.js for AppCelerator.
If you have any questions or any problems, please let us know
Any questions ?