This is a fully-functional sample skeleton plugin for plugin developers.
It serves as a startup code providing reference and working codebase for:
- defining custom post types and taxonomies
- creating admin pages
- sample code of the Settings API implementation for admin pages
- registration of activate/deactivate hooks
- adding metaboxes on pages
- creating sample shortcode
- creating sample widget
- creating AJAX requests storing sample data in the database
- creating AJAX requests for fetching remote data with the HTTP API
- adding frontend styles/scripts the right way
- adding admin styles/scripts the right way
- defining common constants for further use
and more. Use it freely as your plugin startup snippet.
Take the code as is for test and learning or use it when creating plugins for a solid base. To be extended with
widget and shortcode samples.
Upload the DX Plugin Base plugin to your blog and activate it. It would work as is.
Extend or comment whenever appropriate based on your assignment.
- Is it compatible with latest WordPress?
Yes, it is, as well as with the latest PHP.
I’ve removed the ‘pass-by-reference’ call for all array( $this, … ) entries as it’s deprecated since 5.3.0. If you happen to use 5.2.4, you can replace all $this in arrays with &$this or better update PHP version.
Nice starting for new plugin development.
Contributors & Developers
“DX Plugin Base” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Widget update for PHP compatibility with 4.3
- Add custom fields to metaboxes
- Save custom fields
- Add page with AJAX options
- Introduce AJAX call for storing data to DB
- Introduce AJAX call to fetch title from remote HTTP resouce
- Fix small issues and prevent some unexpected activities
- Initial commit