This tool allows you to encrypt download links, protect against leeching, and hide downloads from non-members. Non-members would see a predefined replacement text that will default to the global
option specified in the settings. Users specify a download directory in the settings, and add links to your posts using the wysiwyg button or the following shortcode:
[dlprotect file=”yourfile.mp4″ visibility=”private”]Link Text[/dlprotect]
The ‘visibility’ attribute is optional, and so is the Link text. The plugin will work with defaults using [dlprotect file=”yourfile.mp4″]. When visibility is ‘private’, this file will have an encrypted download link for members only, and non-members will see the replacement code you specify in options or in the tag content.
NOTE: Requires PHP5
If you have any questions or suggestions, send me an email at: email@example.com.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Set options by going into the admistration panel -> Settings -> Download Protect
- Enter your protected directory. This directory is relative to your server, so it gives you the ability to store files below the web root – adding further protection if desired.
- Change the Download Encyption Key.
- Enter the replacement text for non-members.
- Choose the default visibility. Public will display the encrypted download link to all visitors. Private will only show the link to members, showing replacement text to non-members.
- Enter the default download link text. This is the text that will be linked to the protected file.
- What can you use it for?
Protecting your private content downloads from non-members. Also prevent leeching by encypting the download directory and allowing files to be placed below the web root.
- Does it support download resume?
Contributors & Developers
“Download Protect” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
v1.1.1 (December 08, 2010)
- Fixed bug with Mime Types
v1.1 (November 10, 2010)
- Added a new editor button for easy navigation of download directory and automatic shortcode creation.
- Fixed bug with safe_mode warning
- Removed Mime Type Restriction (Customization coming in the future).
v1.01 (September 10, 2010)
Fixed an issue some people were having with blank download pages or errors using certain browswers.
v1.0 (April 30, 2010)
Download Directory defaults to WordPress plugin directory in order to auto-detect directory structure.
v0.1 (April 16, 2010)
First version of the plugin, basic shortcode implementation using the tag [dlprotect file=”yourfile.mp4″] some optional values for private posts and additional customization.