Change your sidebar content for different pages, categories, custom taxonomies, and WPML languages. Avoid creating multiple sidebars and duplicating widgets by adding check boxes to each widget in the admin (as long as it is written in the WordPress version 2.8 format) which will either show or hide the widgets on every site page. Great for avoiding extra coding and keeping your sidebars clean.
By default, ‘Hide on checked pages’ is selected with no boxes checked, so all current widgets will continue to display on all pages.
If you’d like to contribute, you can find a development version on (GitHub)
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to the ‘Widgets’ menu and show the options panel for the widget you would like to hide.
- Select either ‘Show on Checked’ or ‘Hide on Checked’ from the drop-down and check the boxes.
- Why aren’t the options showing up on my widget?
This is a known limitation. Widgets written in the pre-2.8 format don’t work the same way, and don’t have the hooks. Sorry.
- My widgets aren’t showing when I activate
With some plugins and themes, you may need to adjust when the widget checking starts. You can add this to your theme functions.php or a new plugin.
return ‘wp_head’; //change to: plugins_loaded, after_setup_theme, wp_loaded, wp_head, or a hook of your choice
As reviewed on WP Plugins A to Z Podcast
It will happen to you sooner or later that you will need to either hide or show specific wides on a page or to members only. This plugin makes that task easy to accomplish Just install and on each widget you need to focus on set it to show or hide on specific pages. If you need it to show or hide to members only this plugin makes that task easy also.
Rating 5 Dragons
Nice Plugin, It always save my time for customize template
Absolutely excellent! Simple and precise.
I totally like the approach of this plugin.
It solves a simple problem with a simple approach, but enough options.
So you can start right using it without the need to consult a manual, as it is self explanatory.
And due to it’s simplicity it is unlike to break when you update to a new WordPress version (at least minor versions).
thank you for plugin. work perfectly!
Contributors & Developers
“Display Widgets” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Add “Text Domain” to the plugin header to enable translations
- Add Brazilian Portuguese translation
- Check if user is logged in before any other checks
- Resume use of old hook for those with widgets showing that shouldn’t
- Fix XSS vulnerablity
- Allow for taxonomies for post and pages
- Use Taxonomy labels instead of slugs
- Added “All Categories” checkbox option
- New Hook: dw_pages_types_register for registering “custom page”
- New Hook: dw_instance_visibility for allowing plugin / themes to add their own custom logic for determining the widget visibility
- Added translations for Finnish and Swedish
- Default to check for widgets on wp_loaded hook
- Added dw_callback_trigger hook to change timing of first widget sidebar check
- Fixed saving widget settings when widget is first added
- Updated Polish translation
- Trigger widget checking later on page load
- Fixed for pre 3.8 compatibility
- Fixed logged-in/logged-out default to Everyone for existing widgets
- Fixed category checking for display
- Correctly show settings after save
- Only show public post types in the options
- Change the timing of checking widgets, so is_active_sidebar works correctly
- Load the widget options when the widget is opened to speed up page load
- Save options to a transient for 1 week
- If is front page or home, also check to see if the individual page is checked
- Switched logged in/out option to dropdown
- Added support for custom post type archive pages (contribution from tomoki )
- Removed ‘include’, ‘login’, and ‘logout’ fallbacks to further alleviate conflicts
- Added Italian translation
- Fixed bug preventing boxes unchecking for some users
- Switched WPML language support from highest to lowest priority when determining whether to show or hide
- Reduced database size of options saved
- Changed ‘login’ to ‘dw_login’ parameter naming to remove conflicts with certain widgets
- Added French, Tagalog, and Polish translations
- Added WPML support
- Fix to allow more than 5 taxonomies
- Fix to allow more than 99 pages
- Changed ‘include’ to ‘dw_include’ parameter naming to remove conflict with Suffusion widget
- Added Albanian translation (Taulant)
- Added Bahasa Malaysian translation (100webhosting.com)
- Added Romanian translation (Nobelcom)
- Added Chinese translation (Hanolex)
- Added Hebrew translation (Ariel)
- Fix css typo to correctly show the pointer cursor to show/hide option under the headings
- Fixed option to insert IDs to work with posts
- Added custom taxonomy support
- Show category options even if there are no posts in them
- Fixed expand and collapse bug in widget options
- Corrected naming of the Japanese translation files
- Added Dutch translation (Alanya Hotels)
- Added custom post type support
- Added German translation (Caspar Hübinger)
- Added Japanese translation (BNG NET)
- Added a PO file for translators
- Show only published pages, and increase the displayed page limit
- Toggle sections
- Added check boxes to hide/show for logged-in users
- Added text field to list post ids for posts not displayed
- WordPress 3.0 compatibility
- Fixed PHP notices
- Improved admin widget page efficiency and load time
- Fixed bug preventing widgets from being hidden/shown correctly on some subpages
- Add check box for front page
- Change category checkbox to apply not only to the category page, but also to posts in that category
- Added check box for search page under “Miscellaneous”
- Update for 2.9 compatibility
- Added category checkboxes
- Added “404 Page” checkbox
- Changed “Home Page” check box to “Blog Page”
- Added check box for Home page if it is the blog page
- Added check boxes for single post and archive pages
- Save hide/show option correctly for more widgets
- Save page check boxes for more widgets
- Fixed bug that prevented other widget options to be displayed