This plugin gives you the ability to disable specific user accounts via a profile setting.
Once installed and activated, a checkbox appears on the user profile settings (only for admins). When checked, the users account will be disabled and they will be unable to login with the account. If they try to login, they are instantly logged out and redirected to the login page with a message that notifies them their account is disabled.
This can be useful in a few situations.
- You are working on a site for a client who has an account, but do not want him to login and/or make changes during development.
- You have a client who has an unpaid invoice.
This plugin is on GitHub! Pull requests are welcome. If possible please report issues through Github.
- Edit any user and then look for the “Disable User Account” checkbox.
- Can I change the message a disabled user sees?
Yes, there is a filter in place for that,
Perfect. Is there a way of listing disabled accounts afterwards? The ‘Disabled’ column isn’t sortable and I can’t figure a way of listing them.
Seems like a simple request, right? Disable a specific user account without deleting the user.
Surprisingly this isn’t a feature built into WordPress, and even more surprising there isn’t another plugin out there that does this. There are other simple plugins that say they do this — but they don’t work. There are other plugins that do things based on user role — but those are too complicated to set up user roles just to disable an account.
This does exactly what I needed — a simple plugin that lets me disable a user with just a checkbox. Simple.
Great idea for limiting access to others (admins or other users) while doing updates or maintenance on the backend.
I just created a .mo file for this plugin in pt_BR.
Here is the files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B45nMNzIYUITenh1RWhDVzBHbmc.
PS: Thanks for the plugin. Works fine.
Works with a Multisite setup. Updating the user meta through WP-CLI is a breeze as well. Loving its simplicity, thank you very much for this plugin indeed.
Contributors & Developers
“Disable Users” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Added pl_PL transnation – Props Dominik Kocuj
- Bug fix for Disabled column to manage user screen
- Added Disabled column to manage user screen. Props @basteln3rk (flexponsive).
- Cleaned up code slightly and updated README information
- Removed accidental PHP short form
- Fixed notice that would show if WP_DEBUG was on. Props @vegasgeek.
- Initial launch