Using the Widget you can choose whether to:
- Pad the Image (selected by default, uses internal CSS)
- Display a Box-Shadow (selected by default, uses internal CSS)
- Choose Alternate Google Country (defaults to “Worldwide”)
as well as
- Decide whether you would like to use a Title
- Define the ISBN-10 or ISBN-13 of the book.
- Unzip the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Use the “Currently Reading” widget (found under Appearance -> Widgets).
- Go to “Plugins” -> “Add New” in your Control Panel.
- Search for the keywords “Currently Reading”.
- Click the “Install Now” button on “Currently Reading” by “Eugéne Roux”.
- Follow your normal installation procedure
- Open each Widget’s control panel and re-save
Use the WordPress Plug-in System
- Select “Upgrade and Activate”
- Congratulate yourself on a sterling job.
- I get a ‘*Warning: file_get_contents … : failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden*’ Error in my logs and no books are displayed. Why is this happening?
Your web-site has been configure not to allow outgoing HTTP requests and you have ‘Use Google API’ enabled.
Please de-select the ‘Use Google API’ option to use the direct connection instead.
- I get a ‘*No Google Books Entry Found for ISBN:NUMBER*’ on my Blog… Why?
Sometimes Google Books does not return any valid responses on ISBNs. Try the following:
- See if you can find an alternate ISBN for the book
- Toggle the “Use Google API” option
- Find the eBook on Google’s Books Web Page and use its ISBN
- Are you planing to insert other sources than Google Books to the Currently Reading widget?
I’ll have a look into supporting Amazon, though they do make you jump through hoops to use their API (which is the reason I settled on using Google Books to start with).
- Is there a way to get this plugin to do a library of all of your books into WordPress?
It’s not currently possible with this plugin, no.
I’ll give it a bit of thought and see if I can extend it to do that; but it will most likely need the creation of an alternate plugin to do that.
This would likely require its own database table to do properly, as well…
Contributors & Developers
“Currently Reading” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Fix the Google Books API call
- Tested to WordPress 4.7
- Check cache before using it
- Check data validity before writing cache
- Allow (and default to) not using the Google Books API in preference to the older — direct — connection
- Since I’m probably the only Saffer using this, default to “books.google.com”
- Display a message (No Google Books Entry Found for ISBN) when Google has no entry for the book in question
- Reduce the width of margins so that the book entries fit better into the sidebar
- Added a screenshot of the Widget Configuration location in the Sidebar (mostly since I keep forgetting where it is)
- Use the Google Books API instead of previous deep-linking
- Fix display of ISBN when updating the widget
- Allow the selection of Alternate Google Domains (books.google.com causes issues in some countries)
- Display book’s Title instead of ISBN on mouse-over
- Minor fixes to ensure WordPress compatibility
- Moved to a ‘<div>’ based layout instead of using Lists (Kudos to James Sumners for the suggestion)
- Improved the book spacing a bit in the internal CSS
- Added the ability to have drop-shadows around the front-cover images of the books
- Release number re-alignment with internal Hg repo
- Fixed a potentially embarrassing issue with generated HTML
- Initial Public Release